3cylinder lister engine filling with fuel

Scamp

Featured Posts

Hi guys I'm new to this forum so don't know if I'm posting this in the right place.

My lister engine is filling with fuel. I recently had a fuel leak in the head that filled the engine with fuel but had that fixed and it was OK for a while now I have fuel peeing out of the port side of the engine into the engine bay. Last time I started the engine it went mental for about a minute, throwing out lots of white smoke before it cut out and now turns over on the starter but won't fire up. Checked the engine oil but again the engine seems to be full of fuel.

Any ideas please?

If the fuel tank is higher than the engine turn the fuel tap off to stop losing all of your fuel.

Don't try and run it again until the leak is located, fixed and the sump drained, filter (if it has one) changed and all of the lubricating oil replaced.

A common enough issue with Listers., but if you're not up to checking spill back pipes/Injector pipes/injector pumps/fuel pump (if fitted) then you'll need professional help.

Where are you?

Hi guys I'm new to this forum so don't know if I'm posting this in the right place.

My lister engine is filling with fuel. I recently had a fuel leak in the head that filled the engine with fuel but had that fixed and it was OK for a while now I have fuel peeing out of the port side of the engine into the engine bay. Last time I started the engine it went mental for about a minute, throwing out lots of white smoke before it cut out and now turns over on the starter but won't fire up. Checked the engine oil but again the engine seems to be full of fuel.

Any ideas please?

If going " mental " means it over-revved uncontrollably, and now turns over easily at or above the normal cold cranking speed on the starter button, then you've had what's called a "runaway" and you're likely to have some resulting damage to the piston crown(s), cylinder head(s), and/or valves.

Turn the fuel supply off at the tank, get rid of the excess fuel / lube oil mixture out of the crankcase, and find out if there's still any compression on any or all three cylinders.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Thanks very much for your help guys.

If the fuel tank is higher than the engine turn the fuel tap off to stop losing all of your fuel.

Don't try and run it again until the leak is located, fixed and the sump drained, filter (if it has one) changed and all of the lubricating oil replaced.

A common enough issue with Listers., but if you're not up to checking spill back pipes/Injector pipes/injector pumps/fuel pump (if fitted) then you'll need professional help.

Where are you?

Sorry, I'm at Norbury junction

Thanks very much for your help guys.

Sorry, I'm at Norbury junction

Before you do anything you can check the low pressure side of the fuel system without trying to start the engine, by removing the 3 valve covers and injector pump side plate and operating the fuel lift pump,''if you have one'' and watching for leaks at all the pipes and banjo joints. To check the high pressure system for leaks you would need to spin the engine over, you might be able to do that with the de-compressors on and the stop pulled out. No, stop pushed in.

Edited by bizzard

Before you do anything you can check the low pressure side of the fuel system without trying to start the engine, by removing the 3 valve covers and injector pump side plate and operating the fuel lift pump,''if you have one'' and watching for leaks at all the pipes and banjo joints. To check the high pressure system for leaks you would need to spin the engine over, you might be able to do that with the de-compressors on and the stop pulled out. No, stop pushed in.

Also with the side plate off make sure non of the 3 U clamps securing the injectors have not come adrift or loose as that will cause the effected pump to leap up and down busting probably both low and high pressure fuel pipes, ''not unknown''.