led interference on long wave

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

Currently in Europe and very dependant on the 90 year old technology of the BBC long wave Radio 4 for radio without using precious megabytes or battery on satellite.

But every time we switch on our 12 volt leds (from expensive purveyor Bedazzled) there is severe interference, is there any way of curing this short of going back to unreliable fluorescents or candles!

Strangely the cheap chinese leds in the bathroom do not cause this interference.

Which LEDs are these and can you work it down to just one or two.

Long wave is very susceptible to interference. I do not know where in France you are but I would suggest a visit to the french eqivalent to Maplins in the UK and get some ferrite cores. Then wrap the DC input cable for each light around a core see link, that could reduce the interference and is worth a try. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5m42O2J3PAhVEthQKHRWwC4oQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.am1000rangemaster.com%2Fradiate.html&psig=AFQjCNHP35cQtdxWp4bEuvulFtzIp0fb9g&ust=1474452064176160

It is also worth checking that all the aerial connections on the radio are very good.

Additionally, assuming an external aerial, using a chocolate block big enough to be fitted over the top of the aerial, connect a long insulated single wire from the aerial (connected in the chocolate block, do forget to bare the wire) to the furtherest point on the boat. Seal the unconnected end of the wire and keep it off the deck. Keep it off the roof so it is not shielded, If you can run it up a pole or something even better. Should help improve the amount of signal to the radio.