Blacking the boat

Featured Posts

I know this topic as probably been covered on numerous occasions but what are people's thoughts on the different blacking out there.

We are due to go into dry dock on the 16th September as diy, ers I was going to use intertuf would this be okay or are there better products out there not wishing to go down the two pack route

I am going to try keelblack.

Its water based and can be applied to a damp hull, dries quickly as well.

It looks good but i suppose i won't know how good it is until it's been in the water for a couple of years.

Edited by Rickent
  • Greenie 1

If your existing blacking is bitumen based, you won't be able to apply some types of non bitumen materials without taking back to bare steel so check the blacking type you have with the one you want to use.

For example, a 2 pack can't be applied over bitumen whereas bitumen can be applied over a 2 pack.

I wasn't going to use 2 pack because of the cost involved. But with a few others out there it would be interesting to see which works well. Keelblack looks interesting and easy to work with. Is this the keelblack that is supplied by an Hereford based company

Edited by lesrollins

The reason it can be applied to a damp hull is because it is water based. Any dampness gets absorbed into the paint as it is applied.

As said earlier , don't know how good it is yet as have not used it but the manufacturer makes some pretty impressive claims. I am willing to give it a go and see how good it is.

Not to sure what it would look like when put onto an hull with a few battle scars in the old bitumen especially with having to put it on so thin. At least with intertuf etc it goes on thick and you get a good finish on it. Still unsure a part of me says use it but who knows it could be the best thing since sliced bread or a red herring liking betamax and the big old 8 track tapes. I just don't know

And looking on the website it shows it as been used on a commercial boat which was done in may 2015 I would of thought that somebody must of used it by now privately on there boat over the last 18 months and be able to give an honest opinion to how it's holding out

I've had a look at past posts on the topic and this was from a poster that has had his boat blacked in Keelblack and had the boat out of the water 11 months later. All sounds quite impressive, even no damage at the waterline so maybe it can protect the waterline from diesel.

"Last month I had the boat in dry dock to do some other work so gave it a wash off to inspect it. Glad to say it all looked superb. Very little weed and that that was there came off very easy. Best bit was that it all looked very nice indeed no visible rust at all and notably none around the water line and apart from sruff damage to strakes looked as good as the day i painted it. I will be using again.
Edit: been on 11 months now originally done June 2015"

Edit - here is the original thread

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=85020&hl=

Edited by Bloomsberry