Crossing the Mersey and up the Ship Canal 1998 style

mykaskin

Featured Posts

When 200+ narrowboats descend on the Manchester Ship Canal chaos and fun ensues! First the fleet assemble from Liverpool and Ellesmere Port before running in convoy with two ex-Manchester Ship Canal Tugs and Chris Coburn fresh from a sea journey around Wales! This was for the 1998 Salford Quays national.

Note, at this time the Anderton Boat Lift was out of action, and so the only way to get on the Weaver was from the Ship Canal. Some people may have seen this before as I've cleaned up an old Holiday video that I'd previously uploaded.

Crossing the Mersey:

Up the Ship Canal

Enjoy,

Mike

• Greenie 1

Great upload Mike. Was it THAT long ago, seems like yesterday. Our passage on "Progress" was after we had been to Caernarfon via the Dee banch of the SUC, River Dee & estuary and the Menai Straits, we also went up the Conway river too, all very exciting "off piste" narrow boating. We also ventured to the head of navigation on the Mersey in Warrington before returning to join the flotilla. The ship canal guys particularly Capt Don Morgan (Harboumaster) were great too, they allowed Progress to be put between their tug and Dido and towed proper ship style for a short distance, Chris reckoned they stretched his boat!!

Great event, great days, will we ever see that again?

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I'm pleased with this!!!! It gives us a clue of what we can expect at the end of this month.

We have all the paperwork, have notified Peel Ports and the ship canal bods of our intended day of travel etc and even written out the cheque!

I'm pleased with this!!!! It gives us a clue of what we can expect at the end of this month.

We have all the paperwork, have notified Peel Ports and the ship canal bods of our intended day of travel etc and even written out the cheque!

You might want to check this one out too!

Mike