Newbie from NZ wanting advice on best option for 4 days to a week - 'self drive'

Aslan

Featured Posts

Hi Folks - sorry if this has already asked many times before. My wife and me are visiting Britain in October 2007.

Please could someone recommend a canal and hire company - we're looking to spend 4 - 7 days doing the narrow boat thing in Britain in October 2007. Ideally with a starting point within an hour of London. Ideally we'd like to avoid travelling through large towns having preference for seeing the countrysie and pubs. Thanks Aslan :rolleyes:

Aslan, from personal experience, I can thoroughly recommend the Wyvern Shipping Co Ltd, based at Linslade on the Grand Union Canal.

Wyvern

We had our first hire boat "Pearl" from them several years ago, and both the boat and the service couldn't be faulted.

Janet

cheers Bullfrog

Aslan, from personal experience, I can thoroughly recommend the Wyvern Shipping Co Ltd, based at Linslade on the Grand Union Canal.

Wyvern

We had our first hire boat "Pearl" from them several years ago, and both the boat and the service couldn't be faulted.

Janet

thanks Janet S - that's reassuring we've some Kiwi friends who like you had good things to say about their experiences with Wyvern. Cheers Aslan

I can strongly recommend Middlewich Narrowboats for the northern canals and Kate Boats in Warwick for the Midlands

Nick

IMHO one hours drive from London is a limiting factor. If you are flying the 24 hours from NZ, I would travel a little further out of London to maximise the canal experience. If its your first time, I would go up to say Alvechurch Wrenbury and do the Llangollen. Its largely do-able in 4-5 days and you get all the taster ingredients of lift bridges, aqueducts, lock flights, etc in a compact package.

PS - also in October, it shouldn't be too busy.

Edited by NB Willawaw