Liveable size boat

MissMax

Featured Posts

I was living with Grandparents abroad renovating houses and my Grandparents wanted to return to Birmingham where it's convenient for them, so they bought a retirement flat where the bus stop is outside and the high street of Kings Heath is a few minutes ride away.

I'm not a city person so wanted a more rural location, yet within an hour of Brum. I started viewing boats nearly 4 years ago now with a budget of 15-20k. I viewed only 6 boats, 5 were seriously damp, mould and generally dilapidated. I was that green to boating I didn't even know the different stern types but settled to look for a 50 footer. It was going to be just me on board and my cat and the first time I would own my own home at the age of 32. I had only ever been on a boat as a child legging through Dudley tunnel.

Anyway I viewed a boat at Norbury Wharf that wasn't good and came to realise I needed to increase my budget as a few that looked good seemed to sell quickly. The Lady at the Wharf said have a look at this one, which was priced up at £29,950. This boat had been hers from new then She had sold it to the second owner. Anyway I climbed over the other boats and my was I impressed! Dry, smelt nice, interior my style and sat there thinking this is lovely. Looked in the trad engine compartment and no filthy, oily water in a rusty bilge like others! A tidy looking 1998 50ft Liverpool trad with a beta marine 1305.

It felt so right so I got it for 25k. Had a full survey 2 weeks later and in the interim went on a RYA helmsmans course out of Stourport basin and loved it, especially winding on the river severn.

The survey revealed no issues and had it blacked and new anodes immediately after the survey to save a re- docking fee, then set out about 5 weeks later due to stoppages on Boxing day to my Marina 54 miles away and loved it apart from being a bit cold! .I was nervous as I had never actually even started the engine or been out on it but got out the marina well and went off down the staffs and Worcester canal and did all the locks single handed. I used the centre line to steady the boat in the lock while I carefully took my time to avoid cilling the boat and after the first lock carried on the same procedure. It felt very rewarding that I had done my first lock solo and loved the whole trip. Boaters on route were all very helpful and I loved being on the move!

I live at a Marina as I'm self employed and so don't get out much but plan to get out shortly but busy with work. It initially had a diesel bubble stove and I changed it as it was faulty and so was rather cold until my new multifuel stove arrived in mid February . My word it was lovely to be warm!

I have changed a few things since like replacing the shower room to a walk through bathroom and refitted the galley. Kitchen units, worktop were used off ebay £67.00 and the bath and shower were free as person removed the bette 4ft bath for a shower cubicle. Installed a Gravity heating system from the stove and a pumped circuit to the calorifier. Added a reclaimed hardwood floor and solar panels and some stained glass. Installed new Trojan T105 batteries and a mains battery charger.

It's very comfortable and I have got it how I like it. I want to repaint the outside and buy a 12 volt freezer. I use the stove or immersion for heating water or boat engine if cruising or running.

If I was to marry and found the right woman I would probably either have mine stretched or buy a 70 footer.

The boat will find you and you'll know if it's the right one. If you can wait a few months as busy with work you would be more than welcome to view my boat.

As I bought it.

Narrowboat1013.jpg

As it is now except need to re-oil floor and redecorate.

Boat006_zps18f04d7a.jpg

Before.

Narrowboat1012.jpg

After

kitchen%20001_zpsf5rlqpxi.jpg

James.cheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Don't you have to find those special holes to turn round in? I'd be worrying about me being all the way at the back and not seeing the boat load of

orphaned kittens in the front sad.png

If it helps, I saw the hedgehog in the water quite a long way in front of our 70' boat, and we have enough space to keep inessentials like the net I fished it out with

Richard