BMC 1.8 Injector Pipes Leaking

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Long story short, I had my pump reconditioned some months back. It's always ran like crap at idle but luckily on Saturday a mechanic came out and sorted the timing out and it sounds great now, not perfect but good enough without getting the pump off and using a timing tool.

Anyway, the pipes that come out of the back of the pump seem to be leaking around the nut, hard to tell as I've ran out of TP and Kitchen Roll but it would make sense as these were slackened to turn the pump.

Is it just a case of removing the throttle plate and making sure they're all tightened up or are there any washers in there that may have likely perished?

I think this is leaking injector pipes but could just about be the filter to injector pump feed pipe. I am not sure what the "the throttle plate is unless its the cable anchor plate that s fixed to the back of some pumps. However that should not obstruct the injector pipes but may prevent a spanner being fitted to the feed pipe.

The injector pipes have a formed on nipple and as long as the pipes are correctly aligned with the pump no washers or olives are required. I would try carefully tightening them a little.

The feed pipe has an olive on it but that and the union nut fits into a large hexagon that covers the regulating valve. The big hexagon is sealed with a copper washer. If its the feed pipe union that is leaking then try gently tightening t bit if someone overtightened it before you may need a new olive but the pipe may be crushed so requiring a new pipe.

You may need to take the clamp plates with rubber bushes around the injector pipes off, then remove the pipes in turn and gently bend them so they line up and are as near a perfect fit on the pump and injector as possible. When they are tight refit the clamp plates - these are important.

Ok, looks like the problem is solved.

I had to take the plate of that the throttle linkage is held in place by, this itself is a nightmare trying not to drop any of those tiny 8mm nuts in to the bilge/oil to be lost forever.

I then tightening the nut that connects the injector pipe to the fuel pump did nothing so I loosened it so the pipe had wiggle-room, held the pipe completely straight and tightened. I'm guessing it might have been tightened and something wasn't completely lined up.

The second leak, after much investigation was coming from a bleed screw on the side of the pump near the throttle linkage. I tightened this as much as I felt safe (I've previously sheared the same bolt) and that also did nothing. I took the bolt out, gave it a good cleaning to make sure there was nothing stopping it threading correctly and tightened it back up which also looks to have done the job.

Long story short, instead of tightening the crap out of them until they sheared, I loosened, cleaned and re-tightened.