Victory Paraffin Heater

chubby

Featured Posts

Hello

Does anyone have any experience with this type of heater at all ? Its a bulkhead mounted heater , similar in some respects to a Taylors type . Its basically a cage with a burner inside but has a flue .

Theres one on ebay ( can t provide a link, sorry) currently & if suitable and suitably priced i may bid as i d like a heat source for the back of my narrowboat for the bed cabin .

My main question would be : Would the flue and deck fitting a Taylors K79 ( kerosine/paraffin version ) fit the Victory heater?

I believe the Victory flue outlet is 22mm but this seems very slim ?

Anynone else got one , or used one before ?

It could be ideal as it would only be for occasional use , not permantly running like perhaps a Taylors or a Refleks and it also has no tank to install as it just holds about 2 pints (?) of fuel .

If a flue isn t source able then i 'll leave it as i only would use a heater that can vent out of the boat .

Thanks for any thoughts

I've never had one of these heaters.

I have seen a bulkhead heater with a very small flue which could well have been 22mm so I don't think that's necessarily an error. If it was 22mm then maybe a compression bulkhead fitting could be used for the roof?

A Taylors 079 has a fairly large flue something like 60mm or more so it would be a bit awkward to adapt if this item does actually have a 22mm (7/8") flue on it.

If it is installed with such a small flue I would be tempted to put a digital carbon monoxide monitor in the same space just to make sure nothing naughty happens :)

Looking at the item it seems to be some sort of open paraffin burner with an external surround arrangement including a flue. I don't know what the bs scheme says about this sort of thing but it doesn't look particularly suitable for boats in my opinion.

Edit to correct a bit

Edited by magnetman

Cheers Magnetman for your thoughts . There would 100% definately be a CO detector adjacent to the heater & the necessary heat protection / distance from bulkhead etc .

If it does turn out to be non BSS compliant then clearly its a no go !

The Taylors paraffin heater has a much slimmer flue than the diesel version & im sure it too is just an old fashioned burner in a box .

I like the fact that the Victory has no tank & therefore there will be no fuel in it except when used & the little burner itself would be removed & stored away in a locker during the summer and autumn months ( indeed , anytime when not in use ) .

The Paraffin would be stored again in a locker & the little burner filled from the bank & not filled whilst on the boat . I 'm very strict with myself about such things .

It would only be used whilst i' m on board ( i m on my todd ) & for a few hours at a time of an evening / night during the worst bit of winter .

But , if the opinions are its not suitable or compliant then i ' ll give it a wide berth

cheers

I thought the Taylors paraffin burning bulkhead heater had the same specifications as the diesel burning version.

If as you say it is a standalone burner with a surround like the victory then the victory may well be okay. As far as I know Taylor's have a very good reputation in the yotting world.

Of course yots are quite different to canal boats and not always subject to the BS.

Its a nice looking item :)

Of course if there is no burner in it then the boat safety scheme doesn't come into it anyway - its just a decorative item with no functional purpose. So maybe having the removeable burner is actually rather a Good Thing ! I wonder how much better than a normal portable paraffin burner it is - and how much of the moisture generated would actually be drawn out of the tiny flue ?

(Eta looked up the Taylors 079k and I see what you mean it does have a very small flue - but does the burner sit a bit below the flue or is it actually connected directly to it ?

Edited by magnetman

Cheers again Magnetman

I had considered that if the heater is fitted i can remove the little paraffin burner on BSS day and as u say ....it becomes a non issue !

But , i do actually want a safe piece of kit - as i say i am strict about such things .

I think its just literally a " decorative housing " for a removeable burner & I too think its a good looking thing .

The listing on Ebay clearly shows the burner as a seperate item from the housing and is entirely removable

The flue size has concerned me & has made me question its suitability regarding removing combustion gases but i do notice that the Taylors paraffin heater ( 79K , as opposed to 79 D ) has a similar sized flue & Taylors heaters are very well regarded so as flue of such diameter must function & be effective at removing combustion gases ?

As i said before , i consider the burners removability to be a plus and the lack of internal fuel tank to be a plus regarding safety but if the heater is ok then i'd like to use a Taylors 79K flue (£47 ) & deck fitting (£68) to complete the installation as well as possible using "proper " fitting s .

The auction runs for a fair few days yet & i may yet get priced out as cost are a consideration if the heater is safe & suitable

cheers again

ETA : I have read yacht forums which speak highly of this heater and its flue system though in all honesty there isn t too much info on this heater on tinternet

Edited by chubby

Of course if there is no burner in it then the boat safety scheme doesn't come into it anyway - its just a decorative item with no functional purpose. So maybe having the removeable burner is actually rather a Good Thing ! I wonder how much better than a normal portable paraffin burner it is - and how much of the moisture generated would actually be drawn out of the tiny flue ?

(Eta looked up the Taylors 079k and I see what you mean it does have a very small flue - but does the burner sit a bit below the flue or is it actually connected directly to it ?

the 'burner' is a heated mushroom in a combustion chamber directly connected to the flue ( 56mm) onto which the diesel drips.

edited to clarify I mean the Taylor''s

Edited by Alan Taylor

bit of info here

http://www.theblindsailor.co.uk/2011/11/30/more-about-the-victory/

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/victory-boat-heater-stove.10309/

if you join the classic camp stoves website in the second link, you can click on the page link and read the original instructions for the victory.

the taylors heater

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/taylors-079k-boat-heater.10321/

Yes but the op is talking about the paraffin version which has a much smaller flue. I assumed the paraffin one was same as the diesel one ie drip feed but not certain about that now :unsure:

the 'burner' is a heated mushroom in a combustion chamber directly connected to the flue ( 56mm) onto which the diesel drips.

edited to clarify I mean the Taylor''s

I don t think the paraffin version of the Taylors heater is a drip feed type as when i ve seen it on thier website theres a photo of the installation .

The fuel tank is located beneath the heater & there is a pressure gauge & pump handle .

I ve no idea how it works but it seems the fuel must be delivered at a certain pressure for the heater to operate . It definately has a flue with a considerably smaller diameter than the diesel version .

Another reason to like the Victory for me - simplicity . No tank , no gauges , no pressure requirements & the lack of tank means no having to bring fuel carriers into the boat to top it up - the little burner can be taken outdoors to refill which must be safer ??

Cheers again .

Edited by chubby

I don t think the paraffin version of the Taylors heater is a drip feed type as when i ve seen it on thier website theres a photo of the installation .

The fuel tank is located beneath the heater & there is a pressure gauge & pump handle .

I ve no idea how it works but it seems the fuel must be delivered at a certain pressure for the heater to operate . It definately has a flue with a considerably smaller diameter than the diesel version .

Another reason to like the Victory for me - simplicity . No tank , no gauges , no pressure requirements & the lack of tank means no having to bring fuel carriers into the boat to top it up - the little burner can be taken outdoors to refill which must be safer ??

Cheers again .

Hey Chubby...did you look at the links I posted?

The Victory is a primus stove in a metal enclosure. The Taylor uses a Primus burner . Both need pressurised fuel to work.

The victory just heats the air and exhausts the combustion gas into the room, the flue isnt doing much flueing.

The Taylor on the other hand heats a metal gauze element in the chimney which radiates the heat from the metal enclosure, the combustion gases go out of the flue.

look at the pics in the classic camp stove links I posted to see what I mean.

You would get exactley the same effect as the victory if you just ran a primus stove in the room.

Edited by baz gimson

Cheers Baz

I did have a look yes . Thanks for your help . I think then that if this victory heaters flue arrangements aren t going to be 100% effective at removing combustion gases then i 'll have to simply decide not to bid on it afterall .

The last thing i want to do is increase condensation on my boat in winter & if the flue isn t venting the gases out then they ll remain onboard .

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone , your opinions and experience have convinced me it would be best to not consider this heater any further ,

cheers