Samsung Lap-top memory issues

bag 'o' bones

Featured Posts

Thought I would increase the Ram memory in my Samsung R580 Lap-Top. It was originally equipped with win7 running an early i3 intel processor. Updated to win 10

The device was originally came with 4 gb of ram (2 sticks of 2gb) which is expandable to 8gb. Bought 2 4gb sticks of ram to bring it up to its maximum of 8gb.

Problem is all I'm getting is the blue screen of death and the message 'Kernal Security Check Failure' when I boot it up and the computer then shuts itself down.

Far as I can tell its not a hardware problem. BIOS recognises the 8gb. According to the CRUCIAL website the specification is correct.

Replace the old ram and everything goes back to normal.

Any ideas?

There are quite a few different Samsung R580 models. Maybe Crucial sent the wrong type. Have you phoned Crucial for advice? If they are not helpful I would return for credit and try someone else. Loads of results on Google for Samsung R580 memory upgrade! Do you get any beeps when you switch on from complete shut down? Can you post photos of laptop maker's nameplate, old memory and new memory with clear images of all text? I'd also suggest going to a Windows forum rather than this one!

I think bigste is right. The memory is correct but not 'white labeled' I think they call it so it won't work - that my guess. I had a similar problem with a generic intel network card - identical card but because it was not a HP 'genuine' badged version it didn't work..

didn't buy from crucial but from a ebay seller who has Samsung badged memory in his online shop I've since noticed !

think i'll return it ask for a swop.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Some Sumsungs did odd stuff with the memory, are you sure it really can go up to 8? I think some could only go to 7 'cus they used some of the high memory address space for summat else.

.................Dave

Some Sumsungs did odd stuff with the memory, are you sure it really can go up to 8? I think some could only go to 7 'cus they used some of the high memory address space for summat else.

.................Dave

No idea to be honest. Only going by what the CRUCIAL web site recommends when you type in the full model number.

Have another Samsung notebook without a separate graphics card and I know that uses some of the RAM for graphics duties.

Edited by bag 'o' bones