Have we been working Locks wrong for the past 2+ years?

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Your technique is pretty similar to ours when we are two-handed.

We use ropes when we are in wide locks that are turbulent, like the River Avon ones and the Iron Lock at Beeston.

On the Avon we use bow & stern ropes going upstream, and usually just the centre rope going downstream

In narrow locks we've never used ropes at all.

The easiest and most effective way of keeping a boat still, and away from the top gates, in an 'uphill' lock is to run the propeller at lowish revs against a 'stop' rope.

For pleasure craft, the stop rope must be of a suitable length, attached to the boat somewhere a good way forard from the stern, leading astern, and long enough to be 'made off' on a stump or bollard by the bottom gates.

Running against a stop rope was at one time standard procedure for commercials in big river locks, and a technique that needs a little practice to get right, but I can guarantee that once you've mastered it, you'll never want to work an uphill lock any other way.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

The easiest and most effective way of keeping a boat still, and away from the top gates, in an 'uphill' lock is to run the propeller at lowish revs against a 'stop' rope.

For pleasure craft, the stop rope must be of a suitable length, attached to the boat somewhere a good way forard from the stern, leading astern, and long enough to be 'made off' on a stump or bollard by the bottom gates.

Running against a stop rope was at one time standard procedure for commercials in big river locks, and a technique that needs a little practice to get right, but I can guarantee that once you've mastered it, you'll never want to work an uphill lock any other way.

This is similar to the method we use goiing upstream on the Avon, but you don't need to run the motor if you open the (gate) paddle on the same side as the boat first.

This sets up a circulation of water in the lock that draws the boat forwards against the bow rope, holding the boat tight against the lock wall

I use the cheapest, smallest shackle I can find. Having broken them in the past, I can confirm this system works

Richard

I'm surprised a small shackle breaks.

I cut right through one side of a link in an ordinary fender chain making it a C shape instead of a welded ring. I got my bow fender stuck under a gate whilst distracted and I noticed when the bow was about 6" down in the water.

Just as I noticed, the link straightened out and the boat popped up. I was staggered at how low in the water the bow went before the (very, or so I thought) weak link gave way.

Funny - when I started this thread - who would have guessed it would turn into a competition of "The Weakest Link" ? biggrin.png

Just joking, thanks all for the reassurances, suggestions & experiences, as always much appreciated

Ta

B~