Hello all

PX207

Featured Posts

As the title states .. Hello .... brand new to owning a boat, although I've been on plenty. My wife and I, are now the proud owners of Lily Pad, a 19ft GRP Stuart Stevens Weekender that is need of a little TLC.We'll be cruising the waterways around East Anglia this summer and really looking forward to our time on the water (especially when it's sunny).

As with most things of age Lily Pad needs a tidy up, especially in the interior department. Luckily I don't have to deal with plumbing and gas etc, as she has a porta loo and portable camping stove. However, I'm having the seat covers remade by a friend :) and I'll be tackling any wooden items that need replacing. I may get the canopy replaced at some point as it has seen better days. But my immediate task is replacing the thick "off-white" carpet which covers the ceiling and sides.

So I am after some advice, recommendations and pitfalls for a suitable replacement (foam backed headlining, thinner carpet, carpet tiles etc) that wouldn't break the bank and can be fitted by my own fair hands.

Thanks in advance Paul

First of all welcome to the forum.

Having checked exactly what sort of boat you have and found that it is a cabin boat I am a little concerned. Do you know about the Boat Safety Scheme and the four yearly BSS inspection?

The reason I ask is that your boat may well fail and I am sure that the EA waters and Broads will not license the boat without a valid BSS Certificate and insurance. I am not so sure about the Middle Levels though. It would be silly to spend time, money and effort on the interior if you can not license the boat.

The part that concerns me is the portable camping stove. The BSS has issued warnings about the modern sort with a slot in horizontal gas cylinder. It also requires, as far as I know, that all stoves be secured. This may be a grey area and I hope one of our BSS examiners will chip in. I also suspect that it is powered by a petrol outboard and petrol on boats brings other BSS requirements into force.

As long as the floor boards are in good condition I can see no reason not to use any non-natural fibre carpet tiles but I would probably use vinyl flooring because it is far easier to clean when you walk on it with the inevitable muddy shoes. Just make sure that whatever you use is fitted in such a way that you can easily remove the floor boards for bilge cleaning etc. I used gel backed polypropylene carpet for the "soft floor" areas of my narrowboat. you can loose lay that and take it out for hosing off and scrubbing.

I am not sure that headlining are particularly easy to fit and suspect it may be far easier to use the existing one until money can be saved to have it put in professionally. It is not easy trying to apply glue, move the glued head lining into position and then get it in place without air bubbles.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Hi Tony,

Yes I'm aware of the BSS, the certificate is valid for a further 2 years. Apologies I should have been more detailed in my first post! The camping stove is a jet boil and doesn't get used inside the boat, nor is it used for cooking but just to make a cup of tea. It is also removed from the boat at the end of our trip. There a far to many nice pubs on along the river to sample. You are also correct that it is powered by an outboard motor.

As the floor space in the cabin is minimal and the current floor boards that have been laid are in good condition they will stay as is. Thanks for the advice about headlining fitting, best I get calling fitters as this is somewhat of a deal breaker for the wife :).

Regards Paul

Agreed, or synthetic carpet tiles that can be scrubbed when needed. The only thing to watch is small multi-radius curves and mouldings because cork may crack while carpet tiles may be too stiff. In fact anything that is put up in small areas is Ilkley to be easier for ordinary boaters.

I would just get any thin carpet that you like, or maybe search ebay for camper van lining or go to a carpet shop to get a cheap off cut., use a good contact adhesive, not spray glue as it is not as good.

You will not need much, cant see a need to go for the foam backed carpet, and cork is a faff to fit towards carpet.

Hello and welcome.

Download the whatgas app for your phone. This will let you find the petrol stations along the way - boatyards dont sell petrol for your outboard. We found it tremendously useful when we had our GRP.

I would just get any thin carpet that you like, or maybe search ebay for camper van lining or go to a carpet shop to get a cheap off cut., use a good contact adhesive, not spray glue as it is not as good.

You will not need much, cant see a need to go for the foam backed carpet, and cork is a faff to fit towards carpet.

Just to be sure. Gel back and foam back are two different things. gel back has a backing that is a bit like a thine shoe sole so with a synthetic pile (mine is polypropylene) it is pretty much rot and water proof and mould can be scrubbed off it. I certainly would not use foam backed carpets on boats.