Gunson Click Adjust tappet tool

Featured Posts

Just skip dived one of these tools. Seems simple enough to use (once you have worked out number of clicks for a particular engine.) Seem about 50/50 on car forums as to whether they are worthwhile. I plan to try it on my Vetus and wondered if anybody has ever tried one?

Many thanks.

post-910-0-34763600-1460996980_thumb.jpg

I used one in the sixties on a variety of BMC A & B series engines. It was very effective, mainly because the engines were pretty worn, and it got around the problem of the rocker pads being slightly indented. If I recall correctly, there is a way of working out the number of clicks if you know the thread dimensions of the adjustment screw, and the clearance you are trying to achieve.

I used one in the sixties on a variety of BMC A & B series engines. It was very effective, mainly because the engines were pretty worn, and it got around the problem of the rocker pads being slightly indented. If I recall correctly, there is a way of working out the number of clicks if you know the thread dimensions of the adjustment screw, and the clearance you are trying to achieve.

Instructions :- http://gunson.co.uk/items/pdf/Products/G4094_back.pdf

I used something similar for the same reasons. We apprentices had discovered that you get more bangs on the back seat of a banger than the back seat of a BSA. Even if it was a Road Rocket. They compensate for wear on the pads so bad that setting would be imposible with feeler guages. I wish I stll had that £25 Moggie Thou.

Thanks everyone for advice/comments, and Flyboy for the instruction link. Will give it a whirl next time I check the tappets. Always seems a three handed job with feeler gauges, so rather hoping this will make it a little easier.