Whats a ''Cam Bus system'' [Electrical question] ?

pquinn

Featured Posts

What surprises me is seemly decent cars going to the scrappie.

When I were lad, cars that were scrapped generally had major rust problems, knackered engines and gearboxes, you name it....

So while cars are cheaper to repair at main dealer rates due to diagnostics, are they a lost cause for the DIY repairer on a budget?

Certain car parts have generally become more expensive over the years - so a number of items wearing out at the same time can push the repair bills beyond the value of a replacement car. Also, for decades there's basically been too many manufacturers and oversupply of cars so the lower end of secondhand prices is really low.

Certain car parts have generally become more expensive over the years - so a number of items wearing out at the same time can push the repair bills beyond the value of a replacement car. Also, for decades there's basically been too many manufacturers and oversupply of cars so the lower end of secondhand prices is really low.

I've got a 2004 reg Subaru Legacy spec b (the 235hp flat 6 version). I likee lots of power, 4wd and sporty handling. Only 80,000 miles and nothing much wrong with it, until the exhaust rotted through (design fault, there is a low point where acidic water collects). You would think that getting a centre new exhaust bit (after the cat but before the stainless pro drive back boxes) wouldn't be a big deal but it was. None in the country, I could get one from Japan for £650 which is probably more than a 12 yo gas guzzler is worth. Fortunately I discovered a local Powerflow dealer who put a new stainless system on for £350, but it's put me off a future Subaru. Second hand car part prices can be ridiculous and disproportionate, thus rendering a mildly sick car beyond economic repair. I wonder why it is thus?

New rear exhaust box when the tail pipe rotted through at the weld and fell off my Vito was approx £1k from Mercedes. None of the after market manufacturers could supply a rear box and tail pipe. My mate who likes making exhaust systems for long obsolete classic cars welded it back on for £50.

Fast forward two years and the centre box rotted though. New third party bits now available. Centre box was £85 or something stupidly cheap!