Cooker Installation Near A Window Query

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I am planning on having a bog standard, non-marine, free-standing, LPG gas cooker installed on my boat, the type with four burners in a square with a little row of vents at the back. The only place I can put it in my current configuration is under a standard hopper-style window. The cooker specification says that there must be a suitable space behind the cooker able to take 100 degrees C, which I will line with Masterboard just to be on the safe side, but it doesn't say anything about the space immediately above/behind the hob . Would it be ok to abut the cooker top back edge, to the cabin side, with the row of vent holes properly exposed, or do I need to plan for a bigger gap behind and bring the cooker further away from the wall? I am not clear on how far to keep the heat from the hob burners away from the glazing.

Comments from people who have such an arrangement would be most welcome.

Our hob is under a window. We have a glass cover over it that folds back against the window. We also have an aluminium Venetian blind. The hob is sufficiently far away from the window so we can fit a pan on it and open the glass cover.

There are no gas regulations that I can think of that specifically prevent you from installing under a window (provided it isn't fully opening and therefore a draught risk). The cooker installation instructions must be complied with though, and they may have something to say on the subject.

I'd say there is little risk of the heat damaging the glass either, but if it did I doubt the window manufacturer (or the cooker manufacturer) would entertain a claim.