Navigation Light

Canalwatcher

Featured Posts

The photo shows the Navigation light we have that is mounted on the roof over the cabin front doors. In plan the fitting tapers to a point at the rear and reduces to a few millimetres in height.

Have managed to break the lens and despite extensive googling have been unable to come up with a match - unlike the side and rear nav lights which are brass Aquafax.

The boat is an Aqualine Manhattan built 2007.

Can anyone suggest where I might get a replacement?

Many thanks

Mick

post-4458-0-09904000-1456416171_thumb.jpg

A white light showing at the front of the boat, surely it should be at the stern, too low for a steaming light or a at anchor light which should show all round. Stick with port and starboard.

Phil

Yes it appears to be a odd light to have for navigation.

http://www.powerboat-training.co.uk/articles/articles-nav%20lights.htm

for rivers.

On the cut it doesn't really matter though.

Maybe the light was homemade, with a lens from somewhere, if you have the skill you could cast a new lens in clear resin perhaps.

I agree it seems an unconventional light and if out at night when proper navigation lights are needed I would blank it off and rely on the three others - red port and green starboard and the 225 degree white light at the rear. (all Aquafax brass models)

As I have broken the lens I will make a repair somehow. The light is actually helpful in tunnels as the lit tapered sides can be seen from the tiller and help show where the front centre of the roof is. The lens is semi opaque so just has a "glow worm appearance. I don't think Aqualines have them anymore. I have located a source on the web albeit in Australia!

http://shop.classic-boat-supplies.com.au/boat-hardware/lights/brass-white-navigation-light/

Mick

A white light showing at the front of the boat, surely it should be at the stern, too low for a steaming light or a at anchor light which should show all round. Stick with port and starboard.

Phil

Out of interest, what is the minimum height of a white masthead or steaming light? I thought on a powerboat or motorboat (without a mast) it could be on the cabin roof?

Edited by blackrose

Depends on the length of your boat, but in that link for boats over 12m:

"The masthead light shall be carried at least 2.5 metres above the gunwale. Combined sidelights shall be carried at least 1 metre below the masthead light."

Depends on the length of your boat, but in that link for boats over 12m:

"The masthead light shall be carried at least 2.5 metres above the gunwale. Combined sidelights shall be carried at least 1 metre below the masthead light."

Thanks I was looking at a different link which didn't mention heights. So if we assume the top of the roof of a narrowboat is a metre and a half above the gunwale (in my case it is), then I suppose you would need a mast of another metre?

And what about these things. I guess they just don't comply, or is that an anchor light on top?

lalizas%20combo.png

Edited by blackrose

Thanks I was looking at a different link which didn't mention heights. So if we assume the top of the roof of a narrowboat is a metre and a half above the gunwale (in my case it is), then I suppose you would need a mast of another metre?

And what about these things. I guess they just don't comply, or is that an anchor light on top?

lalizas%20combo.png

The white light looks as of ot shows all round in which case it is an at anchor light. A steaming light should show through 225 degs, also known as a masthead light.

Phil