Fire Blanket / BSC

dor

Featured Posts

Well, the boat has just passed its BSC (phew!) :lol: .

The only thing it nearly failed on was the fire blanket. Mine was to BS 476 part 4/7 which was ok last time. However now apparently it has to meet BS 6575 or BS EN 1869. The examiner apologised saying the old one was quite adequate, but it had to meet the new BS number.

Fortunately I was able to nip up to Aquafax while he was doing the gas test and get the right one, thereby avoiding having to have a repeat visit. Apparently this catches out quite a few so check your number!

Incidently, in view of a previous thread, my regulator was spot-on at 39mb.

Can't say, it was with the boat when I bought it. But it passed the BSC four years aga, and basically looks almiost exactly the same as the new one - fibre glass with straps. Seems to be about the same weight.

Check the BS number to see if you comply.

Your blanket must have been pretty old to not comply with BS 6575 which I believe was introduced in 1985. Either that or someone sold a blanket with a BS number that was out of date at the time.

Yeah, well last time we failed our test on our gas hoses (the ones from the manufold to the cycliders and the one to the cooker)

- We'd had them replaced less than a year ago, but when the examiner looked at them they where about 2 years out of date, ie they where a year out before we bought then "new" !! - just goes to show, look carefully at the number before you buy!

daniel

Yeah, well last time we failed our test on our gas hoses (the ones from the manufold to the cycliders and the one to the cooker)

- We'd had them replaced less than a year ago, but when the examiner looked at them they where about 2 years out of date, ie they where a year out before we bought then "new" !!    - just goes to show, look carefully at the number before you buy!

daniel

The BSS does not specify a maximum age for flexible gas pipes, however they must conform to type 2 of BS 3212 and be in sound condition, the only age specification is gas installation is for the regulator which the BSS recomends should not me more than ten years old. If you are being failed for sound gas pipes solely on the basis of the date printed on tem I woulod ask the examiner to demonstrate where this requirement is in the BSS handbook.