durite 1500w inverter problem

crossley

Featured Posts

I have a durite 24v modified sine wave inverter which keeps tripping on over temp, even on moderate loads.

The airways are clear,the fans run and the unit gets barely warm before shutdown. It's as though the temp sensor is too sensitive.

Spoke to durite tech support today, who said it's not unknown for the protection chip to have been damaged by a voltage spike,in which case the unit is beyond economic repair.

Seems a bit daft using a so called protection circuit that fails rendering the whole unit unserviceable.

May be lucky if it's the thermistor on the heatsink, but the fans are starting and stopping ok.

Any idea's ?

It could be upto 12 years old now, it came with the boat.

That's what I thought too. A protection device that's supposed to protect the inverter but fails in itself, in the process writing off the unit isn't much use. Might as well not be there.

Durite is supposed to be good stuff,it's expensive enough.

They don't deem it worth repair.

Just box shifters now I suppose.

Might as well go with those famous three words MADE IN CHINA if that's all the product support you get from a supposedly quality product.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted the inverter problem hopefully.

It's bolted down flat to a panel thus blocking off the air flow through the slots in the back. The fan couldn't suck enough air through.

Ran it with the top off earlier on and it coped with the immersion heater load ok. Will have to cut a hole on the panel for it to breathe through. Not obvious really, so if you've got a durite inverter, don't bolt it down flat as they breath through the base plate, not the ends.

Sorted the inverter problem hopefully.

It's bolted down flat to a panel thus blocking off the air flow through the slots in the back. The fan couldn't suck enough air through.

Ran it with the top off earlier on and it coped with the immersion heater load ok. Will have to cut a hole on the panel for it to breathe through. Not obvious really, so if you've got a durite inverter, don't bolt it down flat as they breath through the base plate, not the ends.

You are using your batteries to heat your water?

Hmmm.

You are using your batteries to heat your water?

Hmmm.

I read it as, he used the immersion heater as a "test load" to check the inverter is able to supply full power; not that he regularly used the batteries/inverter to heat water.

I read it as, he used the immersion heater as a "test load" to check the inverter is able to supply full power; not that he regularly used the batteries/inverter to heat water.

Perhaps he did mean that, but it's not clear from what he wrote.