radiators on aqualine boat

Featured Posts

Hi,

Assuming your rads are the same as mine

http://www.purmo.com/en/products/panels/compact-ventil.htm#tab-technical-data

I have relocated one and replaced it with a "standard" type not realising that Purmo were available in the UK

Its a simple job as the pipework is Hep2o push fit so, at worst a couple of straight connectors and a bit of pipe per rad

I would ask why you are changing as the Permo rads "H" type connections are a lot less intrusive than a valve and pipe sticking out of each side

Permo are part of the Rettig group ie Myson, Radson etc

Good Luck

Ray

Hi,

Assuming your rads are the same as mine

http://www.purmo.com/en/products/panels/compact-ventil.htm#tab-technical-data

I have relocated one and replaced it with a "standard" type not realising that Purmo were available in the UK

Its a simple job as the pipework is Hep2o push fit so, at worst a couple of straight connectors and a bit of pipe per rad

I would ask why you are changing as the Permo rads "H" type connections are a lot less intrusive than a valve and pipe sticking out of each side

Permo are part of the Rettig group ie Myson, Radson etc

Good Luck

Ray

not replacing through choice! bedroom radiator developed leak through corrosion. Purmo no longer make these radiators but have offered to do a one off for us at the Polish factory but you can imagine the cost. Its the bedroom radiator so installing a standard radiator is a bit of a pain with pipework....would have been easier if it had been one of the others. Best idea might be to install centre feed in dinette area and then use the old radiator in the bedroom. One of the boatyards repaired the old radiator with that epoxy?? but not dared fill that radiator back up in case it gave way whilst we were off the boat for winter. Also waiting to hear from Vogel and Noot (also part of Myson) as they seem to do a similar one to original.

not replacing through choice! bedroom radiator developed leak through corrosion. Purmo no longer make these radiators but have offered to do a one off for us at the Polish factory but you can imagine the cost. Its the bedroom radiator so installing a standard radiator is a bit of a pain with pipework....would have been easier if it had been one of the others. Best idea might be to install centre feed in dinette area and then use the old radiator in the bedroom. One of the boatyards repaired the old radiator with that epoxy?? but not dared fill that radiator back up in case it gave way whilst we were off the boat for winter. Also waiting to hear from Vogel and Noot (also part of Myson) as they seem to do a similar one to original.

If one has rotted through do you expect the others to be in much better condition? Did the system have an inhibitor in it?

Sorry to read that its corrosion forcing the change and I share the concern above re the other rads

Ours is a 2007 build and the heating coolant is tested every year (we have 7 rads + towel rail) and there is no sign of rust or discoloration of the fluid and the antifreeze/inhibitor both check out fine

Its powered by a Webasto 90s and run for getting on 7000 hours so used quite a lot? and has two full loop circuits so no dead ends or restricted flow when just used for water heating

Please let us know if you find the cause of the corrosion as there are a few 100 out there

Regards Ray

yes it did have inhibitor in system but due to previous problems it was probably was not up to specified strength for about a year...The other radiators look fine for now. Vogel and Noot/Purmo have sent me details of compact ventil range and it looks like we might be able to use these. Plumbase are supposed to stock but our local depot have never come across them so I have left them with tech details of compact ventil radiator and pictures of our pipework! With regard to the other radiators -- after 10 years they looked like they needed a bit of a refurb...much to husbands disgust I bought black glass radiator covers... Most people (except husband) think they look good ... take longer to warm up but retain heat for much longer.

yes Ray compact Ventil. When we spoke to Purmo last Spring I don't think these were on the market because there only suggestion was a designer radiator or making one ofs for us. Ordered Type 21s with same type of fitting brackets and the only question now is whether we will need new H valve but difficult because we are not currently on boat. Thanks for your help and info.

Ray thanks for the info... I thought about ordering a new valve just so that we wouldn't be left frustrated but you've saved me some money.I owe you a pint! One last question, earlier in this thread you said you checked the heating coolant annually, how do you do this. When I've asked boatyards to check for me they just guess and pour anti freeze in to the header. This problem originally started when the header tank started leaking and then needed replacing .thanks again

You can buy hydrometers for antifreeze in Halfrauds.

Don't use anything stronger than a 25% mix, or you may get problems with the radiators heating unevenly.

Edited to add the last para.

Edited by cuthound

You will get a lot of conflicting advice on the forum re antifreeze for heating systems but in general the % of antifreeze to water seems agreed at around 25 to 30%

Whilst this is good for heat transfer it does not give the required degree of corrosion protction (again some will agree to differ)

I check the anti- freezing properties the old way by placing a sample of the coolant in the freezer @ - 18C if it does not freeze then its ok

My check for the anti-corrosion properties is a little more basic in that I have a small sample of all the metals in use in the system imemersed in the coolant placed in the freezer which is then left on top of the header tank ready for next year - if the metals show no sign of corrosion I am happy to leave for another year but I do check the sample ongoing

I did last year put the product below in the system, its to early to comment but the test samples show no sign of corrosion

ANKORSOL ANTI CORROSION FLUID
Description
Ankorsol is a specially formulated corrosion preventative particularly suited for protecting
both ferrous and non-ferrous metals from corrosion in water and/or glycol systems. Ankorsol
provides lubricity to aid lubrication of pumps etc. whilst also helping to prevent furring or
scaling of pipes. Its unique formulation ensures corrosion protection is possible at relatively
low usage concentrations and thereby having minimal effect on cooling efficiency.
Ankorsol is free from mineral oil, sodium nitrate and phosphates. It is fully compatible with
water, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol at the recommended concentrations, unlike
mineral based water-soluble corrosion preventatives.
Applications
Ankorsol can be used on its own as a corrosion preventative for water systems (typical
treatment rate of 3%) or as a supplement for antifreeze (typical treatment rate 2%). It is
particularly useful in vehicle cooling systems where a high level of freezing protection is not
required, enabling antifreeze to be used at a much reduced concentration whilst maintaining
a high level of corrosion protection.
Note: Ankorsol at the recommended concentrations in water will not give any protection
against freezing. If this is likely to be a problem, additions of antifreeze are recommended.

Regards Ray

For how little involved why not change it at the same time you change the engine coolant?

I agree, that's what I did when I bought my boat. I used Ford Super-Plus Premium, as it provides protection for up to 10 years. The little amount extra spent on antifreeze is more than covered by reduced the work needed against more frequent antifreeze chañges.

For how little involved why not change it at the same time you change the engine coolant?

My system has 3 circuits 7x rads 1 towel rail 1 x calorifier 1 x webasto heater and say 60+ mts pipe perhaps you could suggest a simple clean quick way of draining the system, flushing and refilling then bleeding the rads etc that will take less time than the few mins it takes me to check the effectiveness of the exiting coolant

As I stated initially each to their own ways, mine works for me

Ray

PS I do the same for boat engine,car and motorhome, checking not replacing was the norm in the transport department at the company where I worked over 50 years ago and as I have never had any problems doing this and saved a fortune in time and antifreeze I am happy to continue

R.