Another boat

nursegrowl

Featured Posts

hi, notised this boat, (I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere) and its the right size, in my price range, looks interesting......so, as my luck with boats has gone so far, I'm expecting it to be incredibly dodgy in some way..........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canal-Boat_W0QQitemZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

Getting really disheartened after seeing to many crap boats, and not knowing enough about them to spot it (I thought Durham was ok til I read the threads!!)

How do people who are not experts do this?? I do not have any local friends with either boats or knowedge....... (*cry*)

sorry, just noticed it was auctioned on ebay before, but the seller is reselling due to I think a fraud attempt. It did't go to high price wise last time I don't think, still in my price range

Well, it doesnt look unplesant at quick glance.

- Its 70ft, if thats what you want, and as someone whos 6ft2, i would be curouse of what the headrooms like.

- I mean, you would have to go and have a look at it before commiting yourself in any way, and it might go for quite a bit more than that.

But yeah, might come good.

Daniel

hi, notised this boat, (I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere) and its the right size, in my price range, looks interesting......so, as my luck with boats has gone so far, I'm expecting it to be incredibly dodgy in some way..........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canal-Boat_W0QQitemZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

Getting really disheartened after seeing to many crap boats, and not knowing enough about them to spot it (I thought Durham was ok til I read the threads!!)

How do people who are not experts do this?? I do not have any local friends with either boats or knowedge....... (*cry*)

sorry, just noticed it was auctioned on ebay before, but the seller is reselling due to I think a fraud attempt. It did't go to high price wise last time I don't think, still in my price range

It looks like a nice boat, but it also seems like a lot of money for a boat of its age. I notice it's being advertised with residential mooring - what's the deal with this? Is it a proper residential mooring? Is the marina owner happy for you to just take it over? What does it cost? You have to understand there isn't the same legal protection as there is if you were renting a house. Sometimes the promise of a mooring can more than double the selling price of a boat, and you might find the seller is making promises they can't keep. It nearly happened to me!

Finding a mooring for a 70ft boat is going to be far harder than finding a mooring for a 45ft boat.

Still, if you get the answers you want, find out more! You really need to see the boat for yourself.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Chris

Just an opinion, but I'd think the main thing wrong with it is the decor.....hope you're not offended (or the owners) but it looks like a brothel LOL.

So with that in mind, it could???? be pretty good value for money....paints cheap.

hope you're not offended (or the owners) but it looks like a brothel LOL.

Well I can't comment on that as I've never been in one.

Looks interesting to me, but is the price a tad optimistic? I've only scanned over the description as I've seen this mentioned before, but don't see any mention of overplating or thicknesses. Could be worth a look, but if you were still interested a survey would be essential.

It's not too far away from me, so PM if you want another pair of eyes.

Keep looking at ebay, you do get some excellent boats at much below their value, I was watching one a few weeks back it went for £35k and was worth £55k

this was the description

This is a NO RESERVE eBay auction for the narrowboat 'BUNNAHABHAIN'

The owners (John & Jan) live in Holland, but I have all the details and will try to answer any questions that you may have. I am in regular contact with the owners and the winning bidder will be able to finalise the sale either through me or, if prefered, John & Jan will return to the UK to complete the sale.

Built in 1999 to their own design by Keith Ball the boat is a 60ft. traditional stern narrowboat with a fixed double berth and ample lounge space for a folding bed. The engine is a BMC 2.5 diesel which has had approximately 500 hours run time and is coupled to a PRM260 Hydraulic Gearbox with a 3 to 1 reduction. There is a 2500 watt MASTERVOLT Combi inverter / charger with automatic sensing and priority switching, connected to a fully protected 240 volt ring main. There are 4 leisure batteries coupled in series and parallel to give 24 volt domestic power, and 1 starter battery. The galley is complete with double stainless steel sinks, cooker, fridge (converted to 24 volt by Danfoss) and ample cupboard space

Keep looking at ebay, you do get some excellent boats at much below their value .... This is a NO RESERVE eBay auction for the narrowboat 'BUNNAHABHAIN'

That sounded quite an impressive spec. if it went for that money.

Also one of my favourite Islay single malts (pronounced Boo-na-har-vern) :D

I really like it, its fabulously different, a real head turner and I bet the photos dont do it justice. Of course you would need a hull survey but I reckon its worthy pursuing if its withing your budget.

Hi

We looked at over 50 boats before we found the right one. One thing we noticed the boats that sold quickly were conventional i.e. the floating cottage. Anything out of the ordinary tends to find less buyers and as a result the price tends to be lower. If the decor suites you then it could be a good buy but remember your buying a boat, it doesn't matter what the inside is like as long as the hull and mechanics are sound.

Good luck I'm sure you will find the right one before long.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
We looked at over 50 boats before we found the right one. One thing we noticed the boats that sold quickly were conventional i.e. the floating cottage. Anything out of the ordinary tends to find less buyers and as a result the price tends to be lower...

Ken

How many of those got as far as a survey? It sounds like an expensive business - three or four bad surveys, and it'll start to hurt. Though not as hurty as buying a lemon!

Rupert