Moorings?

Squishy

Featured Posts

I've done a search (I did, I promise) and came across a couple of threads that seemed relevant but had no replies *gulp*

I'm hoping it's OK to post this here and that some kind soul will answer? :cheers:

I'm deserate to get a boat for when the Northern Reaches is done but think I won't be able to wait a few years in all honesty. I have come to the conclusion that getting a mooring BEFORE getting a boat might be a wise move.

Logically I can't get a mooring on a canal that doesn't exist yet (although I wish I could reserve one in Kendal - don't suppose there's a way to get in early???) so I'll need one on the Lancaster Canal somewhere near home.

How on earth do I find one please? And how much do they cost? I'm a total numpty at this so would love any help, please. :cheers:

Hi Squishy.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the restoration of the top of the Lancaster, for one thing it is totally dependent on the up-grading of the M6 motorway, there are 3 or 4 low crossings. As for moorings I would be inclined to book a commercial marina mooring to begin with but I do know that the Lancaster is a very unwelcoming canal for narrowboats I think you may have to settle for the other side of the Ribble.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Squishy.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the restoration of the top of the Lancaster, for one thing it is totally dependent on the up-grading of the M6 motorway, there are 3 or 4 low crossings. As for moorings I would be inclined to book a commercial marina mooring to begin with but I do know that the Lancaster is a very unwelcoming canal for narrowboats I think you may have to settle for the other side of the Ribble.

We are on the Lancaster and "unwelcoming" is certainly not a word used here.

I don't need to hold my breath, it'll all be done for 2013 :lol:

But by the end of 2009 the Kendal bit will be done. And I want to be ready :(

A new marina is being built at Tewitfield as we speak (next to the locks). Barton Grange are building one at Garstang (near Preston), and there is another at planning stage at Cottam ( 1 mile from Preston).

Sailed up to Tewitfield at easter, walked the locks, cant wait for the connection. :o

:lol:-->

QUOTE(andy b @ Apr 17 2007, 10:41 PM) 122734[/snapback]
We are on the Lancaster and "unwelcoming" is certainly not a word used here.

A new marina is being built at Tewitfield as we speak (next to the locks). Barton Grange are building one at Garstang (near Preston), and there is another at planning stage at Cottam ( 1 mile from Preston).

Sailed up to Tewitfield at easter, walked the locks, cant wait for the connection. :(

I never had an opinion about the Lancaster until this very morning when I read the Q&A section of the latest BW user group meeting. Sounds to me like the Lancaster contingent are a right old whinging bunch who had become far too used to their exclusivity pre-Ribble Link.

A bizarre coincidence that this thread then appeared on my 'new posts' !

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/images/L..._March_2007.pdf

What an enlightening, helpful and relevant post :(

I'm not sure if andy is interested in your opinion but I'm certainly not. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge people? Personally, I tend to wait and judge individuals rather than labelling a large group of people "a right old whinging bunch".

Still, I hope you got what you wanted out of coming and slagging them off. Must be something behind it - jealousy perhaps? We may never know.

I'm not bothering with this forum again. You seem to be - dare I say it - a right old whinging bunch. An opinion I have formed after reading much of this forum (save for the odd decent person here and there) I think I'll stick to the rare outing on a narrowboat rather than take the plunge with one. Yours is not a community I wish to belong to.

I'm not sure if andy is interested in your opinion but I'm certainly not. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge people? Personally, I tend to wait and judge individuals rather than labelling a large group of people "a right old whinging bunch".

Still, I hope you got what you wanted out of coming and slagging them off. Must be something behind it - jealousy perhaps? We may never know.

I'm not bothering with this forum again. You seem to be - dare I say it - a right old whinging bunch. An opinion I have formed after reading much of this forum (save for the odd decent person here and there) I think I'll stick to the rare outing on a narrowboat rather than take the plunge with one. Yours is not a community I wish to belong to.

:lol: Well all I can say is that I've found this to be utterly welcoming, warm and very helpful group. (Just don't mention bowthrusters or music tastes too often .... :o )

Blimey. I've just been hit by a flying dummy spat all the way from Tewitfield.

If perhaps you took a step back to consider my response it was a tongue in cheek look at the user group - which can often be like the Dibley Parish Council meetings. Quotes such as 'Why do visitors get the best moorings' and 'Can you chase off the people who stay too long'

This is all very much part of normality on the rest of the network. The best moorings (define best) perhaps with rings/deep water/pontoons often have to be made for visitors because they a) don't know where to moor :lol: could be inexperienced and c) why not?

Large group of people? I can see why you have misunderstood that I meant everyone who moors on the Lancaster, should have perhaps made it clearer - I meant the contingent at the meeting.

Anyhow, hope you didn't become too stressed as a result of my humble opinion. I can respect your decision to not be involved but as Chris said I have found the forum to be helpful, mentally challenging and at times a wee bit controversial.

Edited by RichardH

I don't think there is any need for any of this.

Please re-consider and carry on using the forums and don't be so quick to judge.... some of us are nice ;-)

Sam

Edited by Sam

I’m a newbie to this forum and I can say that there are few forums on this ‘ere web where you can follow the exploits of a boat thieving painter and decorator, weigh up the pros and cons of using locks at night or even learn about a beer stealing ex special forces soldier called Finchie.

I am seriously considering spending some of my summer on the Lancaster Canal, dependant on A: Buying a boat in time and B: Getting a slot on the Ribble Link.

So the “right old whinging bunch” on the Lancaster canal are warned! I will raise the ensign. Bring my guns to bear and fire a broadside at anybody who tries to chase me off.

:)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andy b @ Apr 17 2007, 10:41 PM) 122734[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I never had an opinion about the Lancaster until this very morning when I read the Q&A section of the latest BW user group meeting. Sounds to me like the Lancaster contingent are a right old whinging bunch who had become far too used to their exclusivity pre-Ribble Link.

A bizarre coincidence that this thread then appeared on my 'new posts' !

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/images/L..._March_2007.pdf

I just read the minutes. Seem pretty typical of the user group meetings - I usually attend the York area meetings.

All of these meetings attract a contingent who complain a lot. One person who always attends my local meeting complains about BW not leaving tree trimmings next to the towpath. Seems petty to me. OTOH, that same person often has very useful contributions to make about liveaboard boaters.

People are people. chill out.

bugger, I posted a 'whingey' review of the eating establishments along the Lancaster other day, but I'm not that whingey.

i think!

Squishy, PM me, I've just sorted my mooring on the Lancaster, I may have some info that may help. It might not help, but I'm happy to blather on and on and on and on in a non whingey way.

Sailed up to Tewitfield at easter, walked the locks, cant wait for the connection

I did exactly the same journey, we probably crossed paths at some point . . .

speaking of the Tewitfield moorings . . rumour has it they will only allow new or very very nearly new narrow boats on there

hmmmph . .

• 7 years later...