Webasto 5.2

Dave Bebb

Featured Posts

Hi all is it ok to leave my Webasto 5.2 heater on all over winter and set the radiators at 1 to stop my narrow boat from freezing up , we live away from the boat and it not always convent to run back and to to turn it off every morning and turn it back on at night. will it be safe i have a solar panel on the roof for the batteries to keep topped up and a tank full of fuel PS not sure how the timer works for the webasto only know how to turn it on and off thanks Dave and Jean

For the same reason we fitted a gps unit which allows remote management of the webasto as well as current temp reporting. We also added a frost stat which turns the unit on if the ambient measured temp falls below 4c. We often use the boat over the winter and pre heat the boat, it works a treat

I have drained the boat down and put antifreeze in the u-bends and toilet ( and pumped it through into the pump) as well as in the shower pump out. I do also leave the Webasto heating to come on daily for two hours at around 02-00 hours when there are frosts around, as I am sure it helps prevent Mildew and condensation, even though all the vents are open. I go to the boat frequently to check all is good and top up the separate heating tank if it needs it and touch wood, all has been good for the last six years. We are on a shoreline, so I also check that hasn't tripped out - the stick-on solar panel is only 40 watts, which will be little use at this time of year, but I suppose its slightly better than nothing if the mains trips, and the sun decides to come out of hiding...

Nick

Hi all is it ok to leave my Webasto 5.2 heater on all over winter and set the radiators at 1 to stop my narrow boat from freezing up , we live away from the boat and it not always convent to run back and to to turn it off every morning and turn it back on at night. will it be safe i have a solar panel on the roof for the batteries to keep topped up and a tank full of fuel PS not sure how the timer works for the webasto only know how to turn it on and off thanks Dave and Jean

In a word, NO, better to fit a frost stat or a Thermo Call with optional temperature probe which will text you at a pre set temperature. BTW I assume from your post that you have thermostatic valves fitted to the rads, leave them on full all the time, they shouldn't be fitted at all on evaporator heaters like your TTC as they lead to decreased service intervals and premature coking. Not sure what timer you have fitted but only the Heatmiser type will do any more than a week's worth of on / offs anyway, none of the standard Webasto timers are programmable more than seven days ahead.

In a word, NO, better to fit a frost stat or a Thermo Call with optional temperature probe which will text you at a pre set temperature. BTW I assume from your post that you have thermostatic valves fitted to the rads, leave them on full all the time, they shouldn't be fitted at all on evaporator heaters like your TTC as they lead to decreased service intervals and premature coking. Not sure what timer you have fitted but only the Heatmiser type will do any more than a week's worth of on / offs anyway, none of the standard Webasto timers are programmable more than seven days ahead.

My Webasto 7 day timer just starts again at the end of the week and is effectively 365 day programmed as long as you want the same next week as this week.

I would query the insurance position re leaving a fuel flame device running unattended for hours/days, also check the marina's t's and c's I suspect you would be in breach, and any resultant damage would be your personal liability. Oil filled rads on a frost stat are far safer as well as cheaper to run and don't need servicing, the only risk is all the boats switching on their rads causing the marina (post/jetty/marina) trips to overload.

My Webasto 7 day timer just starts again at the end of the week and is effectively 365 day programmed as long as you want the same next week as this week.

Really? which model of timer is that?

My timers is the same as above, don’t know the make, it came with the boat when I bought it from new from LBC.

My timers is the same as above, don’t know the make, it came with the boat when I bought it from new from LBC.

Probably a Heatmiser, which is not a Webasto branded timer, we do sell it as an approved Webasto accessory though.

Hi.

My timer is a Webasto? TM823 came in the Webasto box with the heater etc and progs 7 days with 8 settings per day

Ray

As I said previously, no Webasto timer runs beyond 7 days, yours is made by Eltime Controls and is not Webasto branded, like the Heatmiser is now, it was sold as an upgrade with kits as an approved aftermarket product and only in the UK, actually any zero voltage switch timer will work as the old Thermo range are simply + 12 or 24v triggered

Edited by NMEA