Rudder post gaiter

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi, After suggestions really. I've had an on going problem with water making it's way up the rudder tube and into the boat in certain conditions, ie when full of diesel and more than one person on the back deck area. The rudder post tube comes up a fair way but not quite far enough, extending it isn't an option because the yoke for the steering cable is attached to the rudder post not much higher. I'm about to drop the rudder assembly out to access the prop so now is a good time to sort this problem. I have done some research and found out that a company called Jefa make neoprene gaiters which can stretch through 90' of the rudder arc for this job but they don't make a small enough dia ( Tube 48mm and post 25mm ) so am trying to come up with an alternative . The best I can think is to use a neoprene cuff from a dry suit cut down and glued into a conical tube and jubilee clipped at either end or a cycle inner tube but I don't think the tube would last. Any possible solutions would be welcome.

Hi, After suggestions really. I've had an on going problem with water making it's way up the rudder tube and into the boat in certain conditions, ie when full of diesel and more than one person on the back deck area. The rudder post tube comes up a fair way but not quite far enough, extending it isn't an option because the yoke for the steering cable is attached to the rudder post not much higher. I'm about to drop the rudder assembly out to access the prop so now is a good time to sort this problem. I have done some research and found out that a company called Jefa make neoprene gaiters which can stretch through 90' of the rudder arc for this job but they don't make a small enough dia ( Tube 48mm and post 25mm ) so am trying to come up with an alternative . The best I can think is to use a neoprene cuff from a dry suit cut down and glued into a conical tube and jubilee clipped at either end or a cycle inner tube but I don't think the tube would last. Any possible solutions would be welcome.

Universal stick together car drive shaft CV joint gaiter.

Thanks, would it be able to flex enough or do you mean leave the top unclipped and let the post move inside ?

Yes they will easily flex. You can alter the the big or the small end to the size you want with scissors or craft knife, A kit should have the Super glue for rubber, retaining clips and usually a craft knife, available from motor factors, QH Quinton Hazell are one of the makers also Moprod. car main dealers won't have them. Halfords might. I'd clip it at the top ''small end'' only with a slightly rubbing bottom end.

Edited by bizzard

Sounds like a plan , with having the post out I could use a universal gaiter which doesn't need gluing . I think I've seen such a thing where you cut it to get the right diameter at each end.

Gluing isn't a problem the super glue supplied is very powerful. Non stick together ones will be specified for certain vehicles and neither end especially the small end will have the necessary step flats to cut and to accommodate the clips to make them universal.

The tiller boss or in my case the yoke for steering cables is clamped to the post so I can alter the gap between that and the top of the tube to suit the drive shaft gaiter / seal.

I think there are two sizes of universal stick together gaiters, one for cars and one for larger commercial front wheel drive vans. Open the boxes in the shop and examine them.

I would have thought any superglue that was used to thick the CV boot together wouldn't last very long underwater?

The jubilee clips would need to be stainless too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bailcast-CVS18-Universal-Constant-Velocity/dp/B0080DLLIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452945409&sr=8-1&keywords=split+cv+boot

Not under water Mike but between the tiller boss and deck. It'll get splashed a bit from below but no more than it'd get splashed by rain on a car. Plastic zip ties can be substituted for the metal ones. The glue is a special super glue for rubber and sticks very powerfully. The stick together one on my boats tiller stock is about 12 years old now, getting a bit tatty now but the glue is still holding firm.

Not under water Mike but between the tiller boss and deck. It'll get splashed a bit from below but no more than it'd get splashed by rain on a car. Plastic zip ties can be substituted for the metal ones. The glue is a special super glue for rubber and sticks very powerfully. The stick together one on my boats tiller stock is about 12 years old now, getting a bit tatty now but the glue is still holding firm.

Ah I see, I must learn to read properly!

I was confusing this thread with some previous advice (by yourself?) to cut a circular piece of lino out and fit this loose above the rudder (below the uxter). When the prop rotated the pressure would push the lino up against the uxter plate and prevent water coming up the rudder stock tube.