Fire and CO safety on the K&A / R Avon - WFRS 18 Jan

Rob@BSSOffice

Featured Posts

Not least because of recent sad incidents, I want to give this Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service event some publicity - check out their twitter feed.

Boat Safety presentation 7:30pm18th Jan Cross Keys Great Bedwyn .If you own a canal boat come along collect free smoke-carbon monoxide alarm

There's a 30 minute chat, then they will be handing out free smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to boat owners.

Tell your mates, alert them on Snap Chat, Facebook, text them, call them, knock on their boat, by any means get them there.

By my reckoning, I think from memory (caveat) its been 6 boaters died in 5 boat fires between Newbury and Bristol since 2003

................... And if you're not from that area, call your local fire service and ask for a boat fire risk/safety check.

Please spread the word

Thanks

I saw a notice taped to a post near my boat this morning advertising this.

The 18th is this Monday, for those wondering which day of the week it is! Hopefully I'll finish work early enough to attend...

Last time I was in the Cross keys they were serving 1812 beer. A most excellent brew, worth visiting for that, even if they run out of CO alarms!

• Greenie 1

Wilts fire and rescue came to our boat club in the summer and gave an excellent, informative and thought provoking talk. Their talks are well worth attending, the figures for deaths on boats are frightening, anything we can do to help to keep ourselves safe are worth doing. Wiltshire fire and rescue and doing an amazing job of trying to help boaters and deserve all our praise and respect.

We has a scary incident on our boat in the spring when one of our dogs kicked a cushion off the sofa and it landed resting against the fire during the night, we had actually let the fire go out as we were returning home early the next morning when I saw what had happened when we got up the next morning, my blood ran cold. I am now very careful when we go to bed at night and the cushions are stacked out of harms way.

• Greenie 1

Two points....

If you are in the Gt Bedwyn area, don't forget the meeting tomorrow.

A second date has been posted on the K&A FB group

Wiltshire Fire Service will be hosting 2 presentations on boat fire safety. The first is on Monday (18th Jan) at The Cross Keys at Great Bedwyn at 1930hrs. The second will be on the 25th Jan at the Black Horse, Devizes at 1930hrs. All are welcome and we will be handing out smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide detectors to boat owners.

So if you're near Devizes, Monday 25th is the date for the diary

• Greenie 1

Rob hi

Re extinguishers I did email the office, haven't had a reply yet.

But could you clarify the situation of requirement of extinguisher

What is it that we have to do

I.e. If a extinguisher is 5 years old, in like new condition, gauge is showing charged.

Will it pass the examination

Many thanks

But could you clarify the situation of requirement of extinguisher

Will it pass the examination

I've posted a response in a new 'Equipment' thread here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82001

I saw a notice taped to a post near my boat this morning advertising this.

The 18th is this Monday, for those wondering which day of the week it is! Hopefully I'll finish work early enough to attend...

Last time I was in the Cross keys they were serving 1812 beer. A most excellent brew, worth visiting for that, even if they run out of CO alarms!

Did anyone go? Was it helpful/interesting?

More locations have been announced for on consecutive Mondays, including at the Cross Guns and at The Barge, Seend Cleeve. Confirmation of these dates and venues will be given nearer the time. (source: Clara on the K&A FB page)

I've posted a response in a new 'Equipment' thread here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82001

Did anyone go? Was it helpful/interesting?

More locations have been announced for on consecutive Mondays, including at the Cross Guns and at The Barge, Seend Cleeve. Confirmation of these dates and venues will be given nearer the time. (source: Clara on the K&A FB page)

I was there. ALL the draught beer had run out and we had to drink from a barrel of most excellent Dundas set up on a table behind the bar, which was interesting.

And yes the presentation has helpful, if hard to hear at times. There were a lot of boaters there including a group who all seemed to know each other and were at one point so engaged in their own animated conversations that another boater stood up and (very nicely and assertively) asked them all to STFU.

A successful evening all round.