DRY ROT

kackara

Featured Posts

Hi All

November of last year my partner and myself brought a 36ft Springe.

We had a full survey done on it and they said it was in good condition for it's age.

He said he couldn't find any major problems.

Since getting Christmas out of the way we decided to change a few things around, ie move the shower and toilet to the back of the boat.

Upon lifting the carpet tiles we noticed there is dry rot... not just a little but quite a lot so much so it just crumbles in your hands.

We took up a fair bit of the floor to see what it was like underneath. a little messy but not too bad.

My first question is do we have to replace the whole of the boat floor. or can we treat the less severe parts to stop it spreading?

Secondly is there anything we can do to claim back from the man who did the survey?

The best option with any type of rot is to completely remove it, but this doesn't mean you have to remove any surrounding good materials.

I wish I had a pound for every person who has found problems after paying a professional to carry out a survey! Some of these people do have professional indemnity cover while more commonly they use small print to wash their hands of any comeback.

Gary

Hi All

Upon lifting the carpet tiles we noticed there is dry rot... not just a little but quite a lot so much so it just crumbles in your hands.

We took up a fair bit of the floor to see what it was like underneath. a little messy but not too bad.

My first question is do we have to replace the whole of the boat floor. or can we treat the less severe parts to stop it spreading?

Secondly is there anything we can do to claim back from the man who did the survey?

Whilst it is possible to neutralize rot by treatment, the timbers will have suffered structural damage and will no longer have the load bearing properties of sound timber. Any rot should be cut out back to sound timber, the whole area should then be treated with a special solution to prevent re-infestation, and new timbers put in.

As far as compensation from the surveyor is concerned, it realy depends on what was written in the survey report. They usually tend to cover themselves with phrases such as "It was not possible to inpect the floor timbers, but they appeared to be sound" or "where it was possible to lift the carpet with out causing damage, the floor timbers appeared to be sound" If wording like that has been used you probobly have no case. The other device used by some surveyors is to put a clause into the introduction stating that all inspections were subject to being able to gain access for inspection. If however the surveyor has given an unqualified observation that the floor was sound, or has not mentioned it at all, you may have a case.

Whilst you are cutting back the rotten timber, you should also investigate the source of the dampness that caused the dry rot in the first place. (Oh yes - dampness can cause dry rot as I know only too well from my experience with a Victorian house and a failed damp course)

Was the rot in the original bathroom? If so, it may be that the sink/shower was not properly sealed or that the sealant was not maintained properly. As you are moving the bathroom, make sure you do a proper job of keeping water away from the woodwork.

If the rot was elsewhere, the most likely cause is a damp cabin bilge. How did water get into the bilge? Is there a leak in the water system somewhere? A constantly cycling water pump can be an indication of this.

Have you got inspection hatches in the floor? They will allow you to check for dampness and mop up any you find. One as close to the rear bulkhead as you can get it is probably best.

Is there sufficient space to ventilate the cabin bilge if the problem is likely to recur. You could fit ventilators in the floor at the front and rear of the cabin to encourage air flow.

And now I've thought up (or nicked) all those good ideas, I've got several jobs to do myself!

Thank you all

for the advice on how we could have got it..... and for the advice on when moving the shower...

I suppose i'm angry with the suveyor as che checked it all over before we brought the boat, and we only went ahead with it cos he said it seemed ok for it's age.

Had he had done his job right and checked the flooring properly which he could access 80% of it, he would have seen it then we would have brought a better one.

Oh well whats done is done i suppose, we live and learn.

Thanks to you all anyway