Roy kenyon Shirley Kenyon and Tremodren - pleasure boat

Joseph

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

An odd item which has turned up very recently is a log book, recording Tremorden, a wooden pleasure boat built by Deans at Rowton Bridge, Shropshire Union canal, launched on 9 March 1958. I gather that it belonged to Roy Kenyon of Manchester and his daughter Shirley, although when I met them later, Mr Kenyon insisted that it was "Shirley's boat". I think that this wooden boat was replaced by a steel one of the same name in the 1970s.

The maiden voyage went to Agden, on the Bridgewater Canal, but when I met them in the 1960s, the Kenyons were members of the Nantwich & Border Counties Yacht Club. Mr Kenyon resigned from the NBCYC on a matter of principle - the Nantwich club decided to restrict mooring by members by short boats, and he objected, on the grounds that this would discourage longer boats, up to full-length narrow boats, from mooring and, by default, from using the waterways.

Mr Kenyon later became president of the Federation of Bridgewater Cruising Clubs, and his death was recorded at the end of 1983. I have only been able to trace Miss Margaret Shirley Kenyon to being the librarian at MANCAT (college) in 1980. I don't have the details, but the log book and other effects came from someone who was clearing a house so, sadly, it looks like Shirley Kenyon may no longer be with us.

I'm just wondering if anyone recalls the Kenyons and Tremorden, and/or has any idea what happened to the wooden Tremorden.

Everyone on this forum is very helpful, but this is a bit of a long shot. I would be very grateful for any information.

Regards

Joseph

We bought" Shiela" from Venetian Marine in 1975. Built by Deans of Chester in 1958,plywood with a 5hp Stuart Turner.Last commercial licemce in 1971. Paid £275 delivered to our workshop in Runcorn. Well past its best,we fitted a new bottom,which kept it going for a while.

Hello everyone

I thought it was a long shot!

I think that the history of early pleasure boats is a lot more obscure than it might be. I am researching the history of Amaryllis (formerly Teal), which is "in the dry" at the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port, and it is only by chance that records have survived.

nebulae, I have wondered how long these wooden-hulled boats would last - what happened to Shiela?

I have discovered that Tremorden won the prize at the Stourbridge Rally of 1962 for "the best commercially built inboard boat of more than thirty feet in length", when the owner was given as Miss M S Kenyon. Perhaps more fragments will turn up, but if anyone can add anything I would, as always, be very grateful.

Thanks

Joseph

If I remember correctly Roy Kenyon had two boats built at Deans. The first one was approx 28ft long . The second about 34ft with a small front cabin before the cockpit. was built around 1964/5 Shirley Kenyon always seemed to steer both boats. The third Tremorden as you suggested was a steel cruiser. Deans built in marine ply and I would guess both boats have gone by now

The whole bottom of "Shiela" was rotten,as was the bottom foot of the sides,as were some of the frames.We replaced with new marine ply and fibreglass sheathed it. I note that the cost of the materials was £200!(No labour as we did it in our spare time). Not viable now,as their are plenty of cheap G.R.P. boats about. If I remember correctly from my dinghy sailing days,the premium ply was Thames Marine Ply to BSS 1088. I doubt if any of these plywood boats built for inland use used premium materials,which is why they have all gone. Shiela lasted over 10 years as a hire boat,which was a good return on their investment for Deans of Chester .Last seen on the W.&B, called Saraband late 70s.

Many thanks

Especially to Ogwr for the clarification - the Tremorden that I recall may well be a replacement for the original Dean-built one. I begin to wonder how many 1950s/1960s marine ply boats are afloat - if any!

if anyone has any idea what happened to the Tremordens and Miss Kenyon, I would be very glad to hear from you.

Very many thanks again

J

The original Tremorden, renamed Maureen became a member of Deans hirefleet until the boats were sold off circa 1970.In private ownership and renamed Otter it was moored at Agden on the Bridgewater Canal for several years.

The 1962 Tremorden was put on brokeridge at Ladyline Market Drayton probably towards the end of 1969 it not sell very quickley the manager blamed the Kenyons colour scheme of several shades of green.Repainted white with blue strakes it did sell. I remember seeing Tremorden 2 at Rodley in 1972 renamed I think Sea Horse, from memory I think the boats home mooring was Scarisbrick, in 1985 it was moored on the Coventry or possably the North Oxford looking its age,I do not know its fate.

The 1970 Tremorden was built at Middlewich by Kings Lock hire cruisers a 46 foot steel hull with centre and stern cockpits wheel steering and a Perkins engine. A heavy smoker Roy died of a heart attack at Norbury as he was filling the boat with fuel in 1972. The boat was sold soon after I remember seeing it around the Barbridge area for several years.

I believe Shirley Kenyon and Elsie her mother had a boat moored at Venetia Marina for several years I do not know any details.