Another Hull paint

Stevec

Featured Posts

I have been reading with great interest the forums for a number of years and noted that many people advise the use of a 2 pack epoxy coating for the hull rather than Bitumen. I though you might be interested in my experience with another paint.

When I first purchased my boat it was with a bitumen coating - which did not last long before one could see the red oxide primer underneath. I then started working for a boat hire company and whilst in the drydock found they were using a vynyl paint called Resistex (made by Leighs paints) It went on very quickly and dried within about a minute or two - so a second coat could be applied straight after you finished the first.

You could do the final brush strokes, then immediately open the flooding valve for the dock and the paint stayed on for the next two to three years with no signs of galvanic corrosion.

However I was told that they started with a new hull, shot blasted and applied it on bare steel - the paint would not like to be in contact with bitumen.

A year or so later having got fed up with the large orange patches on my hull each time I drydocked, I scraped off the bitumen with an old chisel and applied a first coat of Resistex with a brush - In pits where bitumen was present, it bubbled and frothed and I had to keep going back over it to get a first coat. The second coat went on better (these were then called primer coats) and I followed this with two coats of the black top coat.

Two years later in drydock I found that galvanic orange spots were much reduced. The resistex was wire wheeled down and re-coated.

15 years later with a drydock about every two to three years (pressure wash, wire wheel & recoat with two coats of Resistex) - there is no orange patches, no observed extra pitting and drydock takes about 1½ days unless there is stern gear work to be done.

Leighs Resistex uses a quick evaporating thinners (hence the quick drying) so you use a lot to keep the pot fluid.

I think you should stop calling it galvanic corrosion. Unless you know that's how it's caused then it's just corrosion.

Also, if you're painting your hull every 2 - 3 years then you may have some trouble convincing members of this forum that there's much advantage in using the Leighs paint.

Edited by blackrose

Resistex appears to be a two pack system anyway. And bloody expensive compared to ordinary blacking!

http://www.leighspaintsonline.co.uk/resistex-c137v2-two-pack-acrylic-urethane-gloss-finish---grp-1-colours-69-p.asp

I'm wondering if the OP has shares in Leighs Paints.

I think the big advantage he is promoting is getting two or three coats on in a day so vastly reduced docking charges.

Resistex appears to be a two pack system anyway. And bloody expensive compared to ordinary blacking!

http://www.leighspaintsonline.co.uk/resistex-c137v2-two-pack-acrylic-urethane-gloss-finish---grp-1-colours-69-p.asp

I'm wondering if the OP has shares in Leighs Paints.

I think the big advantage he is promoting is getting two or three coats on in a day so vastly reduced docking charges.

Yes, that would be an advantage if it were true.

However, if I've linked to the correct product specs then I'm not sure the drying times are any less than ordinary bitumen paint?

http://protectiveemea.sherwin-williams.com/Home/DatasheetItems

Edited by blackrose

Further information - The resistex referred to is M535 Single pack, pitch free, vinyl copolymer resin based underwater coating (5 lit tin about £53) - it uses their No9 thinners. - I am not a shareholder in Leighs - just as I described someone who worked using it - liked the results - used it myself and am satisfied

Further information - The resistex referred to is M535 Single pack, pitch free, vinyl copolymer resin based underwater coating (5 lit tin about £53).

We have used Leighs paints (now owned by Sherwin Willams, but still with a base in Bolton) since our boat was build and have had nothing but good things to say about the products over the last 25 years use.

Originally the boat shot blasted, prepared with their 2-pack epoxy blast primer (thin, and a red-oxide colour) all over. The hull was painted with two pack epoxy blacking and the topsides with a two pack acrylic urethane (C137/C137V2). However they then discontinued the epoxy blacking and since then we have used the M535 which has been great. We use the M902 expoy aluminium 'brushing primer' for re-covering bare metal areas.

We have most of the thinners/cleaners for the above, and clean brushes and pots with them, but use the paints neat and apply the majority by roller which become single-use.

I cannot comment on comparability as its all we have used, however I can vouch for the longevity, we only ever get any rust or paint loss where it has been mechanically removed (scrapped off on locks) including no rust at the waterline ever and always get positive comments from our various surveyors and from drydock owners. We typically dock every four years, although this time is was five years.

You can now order the paints online from a 3rd party supplier trading as 'Lieghs Paints online' which is quick and easy and a slightly better price than you can get directly as a low volume customer.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...