Help wanted from Watford to Hackney

Fraz

Featured Posts

I've just spoken to Fraz and we now plan a one-day move down the 11 locks on the GU once the blacking is done, either later this week or maybe Monday. Then he spends 6 weeks moving occasionally to the next "place" along the long pound towards central London so that CRT shouldn't have any complaints, and just before Christmas when the Mile End/Hertford Union stoppage finishes I turn up for another day to get him through the locks to Hackney Wick. I love it when a plan comes together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg

Not knowing much about the art of blacking, I'm hoping others can offer opinions as to how much he should apply while the boat's out of the water?

Just completed the first two coats and i've been scrapping the underside of the boat ready for blacking also... my golly that is hard work!

Your welcome to join in Ian. it could be that i mange to finish everything by end of play wednesday and set off on thurs or friday.

Will keep updating as i go : )

Fraz, thanks for the update. I'll get my second day in the office this week fitted in tomorrow then, which leaves me free to turn up on the GU for Thursday or Friday as needed.

It would be a nice luxury to have a second crew member for several reasons. If there are two windlasses (I don't have one of my own yet), that'll save a bit of time doing the locks. Also, if you're not too sure about steering, Ian can probably offer better advice than me. Then there's the all-important function of making the tea and serving up food which makes any trip go more smoothly.

This gives a bit of a list of places to moor in West London:

http://beforeyoubuyaboat.info/mooring-in-London

and suggests to me that it shouldn't be hard for us to find a mooring soon after the 11th and last lock coming down the GU from Watford, i.e. at Yiewsley. Which just happens to be right next to West Drayton station where I can get a train into Paddington at the end of the day!

Just to let fans (if any) of this topic know, Fraz is taking a bit more time on the blacking and now intends to get the boat craned in early on Monday then quickly set off to get to Yiewsley before dark, with Ian and me as crew. The weather forecast is for more rain, so I'll be looking for my most waterproof clothing.

Well, we had a nice day out yesterday, fortunately the forecast rain never really happened. It was great to meet Francis (Fraz) and Ian (The Boater).

We didn't get quite as far as hoped, mostly because the craning in was done on the day which meant we didn't leave the yard at Watford until 11am.

However I'm sure Fraz appreciated our help and learnt enough, particularly how to steer the boat courtesy of Ian, that he can manage the last few locks on the GU and the long pound into London over the next six weeks. Provisionally I'll be back for another day just before Christmas when the Hertford Union stoppage ends, to help him through the locks from Camden to Hackney Wick.

Bit of a belated note to say I'm super chuffed I found this forum as I had a great day with Peter and Ian. As mentioned, we didn't get going until 11 but with such expert help at hand we had a very smooth first journey through to Denham. Massive thank you to all that contributed in the thread and to Ian and Peter, it was great fun, I learnt so much and I look forward to more boating together in the future!