Engine to calorifier connections

james13

Featured Posts

Hi

I have a canaline 38 with a rubber hose that comes off the thermostat housing then reconects to the engine at the bottom near where the skin tank connects to the engine the pipe is doubled over and clipped so that water cant flow, i assume this hose is to conect to the calorifier.

If so what is the best way to connect the hose to the calorifier would the water flow come out at the thermostat and back to the bottom of the engine if this is the case should i disconect the hose from the bottom of the engine unclip it so water can flow and then would it be best to connect the end to the bottom or top of the calorifier coil and use a fresh piece of pipe to finish the circuit back to the bottom of the engine? hope this makes sense

Assuming you only have a single thermostat on your engine, then calorifier coil (hot in, top of coil connection) needs to be connected to the thermostat bypass with the other end of calorifier coil connected to the circulating pump inlet. This is probably the same point that the main cooling circuit skin tank return connects to pump, as per your description.

Interesting to note that

• some engines have a bypass circuit - ie a smallish connection from before the engine thermostat to the main water return point; and
  • some (eg Canaline) do not - those instructions say the two connectors must be blanked off if not used to connect to the calorifier, not connected together.

You may want to add a thermostatic valve to mix the 80 degree water coming out of the hot water tank with cold water, to produce the right temperature for the hot taps and reduce the scalding risk. I have such a system and it works very well.

You may want to add a thermostatic valve to mix the 80 degree water coming out of the hot water tank with cold water, to produce the right temperature for the hot taps and reduce the scalding risk. I have such a system and it works very well.

I would definitely advise this too.