Mooring south of Birmingham

jddevel

Featured Posts

Well I`ll repeat my previous comment regarding the grateful thanks for all the advice given. It has always amazed me how sections of society can be so helpful whether it be for example classic car clubs of which I have personal experience or in this case the Canal World that my wife and I are so desperate to get into. BUT another knock back yesterday. Having had an offer accepted on a boat we travelled (5 hour journey there) to place the deposit with the broker and had a good couple of hours to again look over the vessel. Well we`d obviously looked at it after both numerous other craft - this one was nearly £20000 more than we`d originally budgeted for - through "rose tinted glasses". The finish actually left a lot to be desired, engine room half full of water, much of the flooring would need replacing. Wear where we`d not noticed etc. etc. So we came home -another 5 hours- quite despondent. So I`ve started a new topic that I`d like you guys to look at namely a self build sail away.

Well I`ll repeat my previous comment regarding the grateful thanks for all the advice given. It has always amazed me how sections of society can be so helpful whether it be for example classic car clubs of which I have personal experience or in this case the Canal World that my wife and I are so desperate to get into. BUT another knock back yesterday. Having had an offer accepted on a boat we travelled (5 hour journey there) to place the deposit with the broker and had a good couple of hours to again look over the vessel. Well we`d obviously looked at it after both numerous other craft - this one was nearly £20000 more than we`d originally budgeted for - through "rose tinted glasses". The finish actually left a lot to be desired, engine room half full of water, much of the flooring would need replacing. Wear where we`d not noticed etc. etc. So we came home -another 5 hours- quite despondent. So I`ve started a new topic that I`d like you guys to look at namely a self build sail away.

There are quite a few nice second hand boats around, have you looked at Rugby Boats? :- http://rugbyboats.co.uk/ They have quite a few above average boats for sale at the moment, The brokerage owner is a well respected member of this forum, He is on holiday at the moment but will be back next week.

Edited by David Schweizer

Although this will be our first narrow boat the days of sailing and offshore cruising behind us. We have taken boating

holidays for over 45 years -on the broads in the early days as teenagers (What memories of those lovely old wooden boats we

"thrashed" around Salhouse broad etc. or hanging from the quay at Lowestoft having returned from the pub and the tide had

gone out!! We spent great times in Ireland -very low key. Have some amusing tales over there during the year of foot and mouth

plague- please take that the right way and nothing directly to do with that awful problem just the circumstances it created.

Fond memories too with my late father (now deceased) and mother especially on the Brecon. So we have certain specifics.

Two loos. Secure accommodation for my grandchildren so we can enjoy our family times together so semi trad. Somewhere for my

elderly mother to sit "up front" A Houdini and at our age as many comforts of home as possible. Enough of force 7/8s in the North Sea. Tranquil times now a must. All of the above means that we are being rather fussy about exactly what we are going to be happy or rather ecstatic over. Hope you understand.