Continuous Cruising in Central Manchester

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Hey guys,

I'm looking at visiting Manchester as a continuous cruiser and I wondered where are good places to moor up. Am I correct in thinking that it's for 7 days at a time?

I'm coming from the Peak Forest canal, I've heard I might need a new license for the central Manchester waterways?

Thanks in advance!

CC means 14 days max....unless i am wrong, cant see it working in Manchester unless you stop once then out of there due the distance you have to move, thats if you know how far that is as no bugger knows how far you have to move even CRT lol.

I might need a new license for the central Manchester waterways?

The Bridgewater canal is a non-CRT waterway but there is a recoprocal agreement which allows a visit of 7 days. If you need to stay longer, I believe its £40 for a further 7 days (ie if you've not left the Bridgewater). In theory the mooring period on the Bridgewater is 24h max but in practice its often exceeded by boaters with little/no issue. There is an interesting thread about the latest issues on the Bridgewater that certain boaters have come up against, though.

You say you're "visiting" Manchester. How long would you like to visit for. There are loads of ways to do it. 7 days on the Bridgewater. Do the Rochdale 9 up to Picadilly Village. Spend 14days. Travel 2 locks up to New Islington Marina. Moor up 2 days free. Pay to stay a little longer. Cruise onto the Ashton. Spend 14 days. Turn around, travel back down the Rochdale 9. Above lock 92. Spend 14days.

Is that long enough to visit? If not, travel up the Rochdale to lock 45. Catch the train into Manchester every 30mins...takes 10mins.

So it's easy to visit Manchester without too much hassle.

If you want to stay safe and have a worry free life I would say near impossible to cc in Manchester. Ok if you are happy to go as far as Wigan

I did want to say but......thanks ;)

The Bridgewater canal is a non-CRT waterway but there is a recoprocal agreement which allows a visit of 7 days. If you need to stay longer, I believe its £40 for a further 7 days (ie if you've not left the Bridgewater). In theory the mooring period on the Bridgewater is 24h max but in practice its often exceeded by boaters with little/no issue. There is an interesting thread about the latest issues on the Bridgewater that certain boaters have come up against, though.

Ah yes you get 7 days on the Bridgewater licence, forgot all about that, as said you can push it, which i would. aslong as i could find a safe mooring.

I did want to say but......thanks wink.png

Ah yes you get 7 days on the Bridgewater licence, forgot all about that, as said you can push it, which i would. aslong as i could find a safe mooring.

and avoid meeting sunny