Weight of a 70' bare shell?

Featured Posts

Help! Does anyone know what a bare steel 70' narrowboat shell weighs? 10/6/4mm, unballasted, no engine. If we can be sure it's below a certain weight the boatyard can do the lift, which would save us several hundred pounds on hiring in a 60 ton crane.

Launch day!!! :lol:

It's been starting to feel like it would never come.

Rick and Jo

419319359_b6936f1abd.jpg

Help! Does anyone know what a bare steel 70' narrowboat shell weighs? 10/6/4mm, unballasted, no engine. If we can be sure it's below a certain weight the boatyard can do the lift, which would save us several hundred pounds on hiring in a 60 ton crane.

Rick and Jo

419319359_b6936f1abd.jpg

Between 8 & 10 ton

If you want to work it out the hard way one cubic mm weighs 0.000007865 Kg

Rick and Jo

419319359_b6936f1abd.jpg

I had a 58ft cruiser lifted and it weighed in at 9.2 tons, this was with an Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel, plus PRM 150 gearbox and starter battery. As an idea if you can find out the weight of the engine and gearbox, then you could deduce the weight of the basic shell and therebye the weight per foot. It will probably be near enough for your requirements.

Best of Luck

Paul

I had a 58ft cruiser lifted and it weighed in at 9.2 tons, this was with an Isuzu 4 cylinder diesel, plus PRM 150 gearbox and starter battery. As an idea if you can find out the weight of the engine and gearbox, then you could deduce the weight of the basic shell and therebye the weight per foot. It will probably be near enough for your requirements.

Best of Luck

Paul

Which works out at about 10.5 tons, I think a pattern is emerging here, thanks guys!

Rick

Hang on. If you launch an unballasted narrowboat aren't you just relying on the weight of the baseplate to keep it upright?

Is this common practice?

I launched an unballasted boat via a slipway, and it was fine. The 10mm baseplate must act as "ipso facto" ballast; it's just not ballasted enough until the slabs or whatever go in, which would presumably be the first job.

And before some smartarse chips in, I changed ballast medium from ipso facto to concrete slabs.

Between 8 & 10 ton

If you want to work it out the hard way one cubic mm weighs 0.000007865 Kg

I've actually had a go at this! Very roughly, just treating the baseplate, sides roof etc. as rectangles and making no allowance for window apertures or internal framing, I get about 8 tonne, which fits OK with the other estimates.

We'll only know for sure when we actually lift it.

Rick

I've actually had a go at this! Very roughly, just treating the baseplate, sides roof etc. as rectangles and making no allowance for window apertures or internal framing, I get about 8 tonne, which fits OK with the other estimates.

We'll only know for sure when we actually lift it.

Rick

Remember that the crane will have to reach a distance to lift the boat and to lower it again - so you need to account for it. We usually have cranes of no less than 80 tones capacity when boats get lifted in here.

Cheers

Phil

Hi

As phil says you still need a decent size crane unless you can get the crane operator right along side the water, I was recently involved in removing a press which weighed 12 ton , we used an 80 ton crane from about 30 ft away (couldnt get any nearer).

I have a excel spread sheet made up for calculating weights in steel aluminium and brass which I used for calculating the weight, did a bit of guessing on height of hull and cabin and the amount of stiffening, it actually worked out to 7.9 tons added a bit to make sure.

Be interested to know what the crane says it is when it goes in

Steve