Solar - two battery banks.

Traveller

Featured Posts

Have a solar installation where the controller can handle two battery banks, but only if those banks are never joined. Mine are joined when I switch the 1,2, both switch to both (when charging via the engine) so I cannot use the two bank capability. I currently have the solar charging the domestic bank only. I appreciate that I could have it charge all batteries when the switch is on “both” as it would see them as a single bank but this won’t work when I am away from the boat (not a live-aboard) as I like to leave the isolation switch in the off position. Thus when away my starter battery is not benefiting from solar.

Above has not been a problem so far but is there a way around this limitation? It may well be the best option is to live with what I have but it does seem a bit of a waste

A fairly expensive but fully automatic solution is to use a Smartguage/Smartbank setup. A large relay would replace your 1,2,both switch. As soon as a charging source (alternator, solar, or battery charger) is detected, the smartbank will connect batteries together in one bank. The Smartguage will give you accurate information about the remaining capacity in the domestic bank. Pretty much fit and forget in my experience.