any pubs near Autherley Junction?

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Hello

We are due to go on our first hols this year and are going with Napton narrowboats this time from Autherley Junction, we normally aim to be back at the boat yard the night before we are due back, less hassle on the morning of handover.

We usually have a night at the pub on the final night but as we haven't used this boatyard before don't know much about the area and would appreciate any advice, are there any pubs nearby?

Thanks for any advice

Julie :banghead:

Hi Julie,

Sorry, iirc there's nothing at Autherley worth speaking of. That whole area's uninspiring.

I just thought I'd double-check my Nicholson, and it looks like there's a pub in reasonable walking distance in Pendeford from Shroppie bridge 2, but I don't know it.

What's your route and which directon are you returning from?

If you're coming down the Shroppie I'd recommend the Bridge at Brewood, which would leave you an easy 5 miles.

Edited by Moley

You could go in the club house at Oxley Marina, which is ok. Or, as I would advise, make for Tetenhall or better still Compton on the Staffs and Worcs. Of couse that will depend on your route.

If you're on the SU then Brewood is your best bet as advised by Moley. Although I would walk into Brewood and go to The Admiral Gordon.

We are heading for Stourport and back on a short break second week in May, can't wait!! :banghead:

Will keep an eye open for you as you pass through Kiddy.

If you're just going down and up the S&W, then stop by Limekiln and there are a couple of pubs in Compton. Just leaves you an hour on your last morning.

Hello

Many thanks for replies, I thought that there wasn't much at the junction having been through there several times!!

We are heading for Stourport and back on a short break second week in May, can't wait!! :lol:

Julie

Hi Julie,

I hope you have a great trip. We did a week in that area recently, whilst I agree with the guys about the pubs mentioned (we tried them all lol) without a doubt my favourite pub was the Star at Compton.....superb !!!

Have fun

Les

Hi Julie,

I hope you have a great trip. We did a week in that area recently, whilst I agree with the guys about the pubs mentioned (we tried them all lol) without a doubt my favourite pub was the Star at Compton.....superb !!!

Have fun

Les

I have to put my plug in for the Admiral Rodney in Brewood. Brilliant staff and owners, great food and wonderful beer. Short walk from the Shroppie. Tell them the Canucks sent you!

Steve

If you are going down to Strourport, then I can really recommend The Lock Inn alongside Wolverley Lock. Fantastic food and a warm welcome. We stopped off their a couple of years ago on both the outward and back journeys. Also nice and quiet to moor up for the night either above or below the lock.

Edited by Bigmac

If you are going down to Stourport, then I can really recommend The Lock Inn alongside Wolverley Lock. Fantastic food and a warm welcome. We stopped off there a couple of years ago on both the outward and back journeys. Also nice and quiet to moor up for the night either above or below the lock.

Agreed, good cellar too, but between Wolverley Lock and Wolverley Court Lock stay in the middle of the channel. I've grounded so badly towpath side late one evening that I had to wait until next morning for another boat to pull me off.

Also good moorings, food and beer at the Navigation at Greensforge.

Hi Julie,

Have fun

Les

Think you'll find it's the Swan at Compton - my favourite - there is no muzak, and, as I noticed again last Thursday, hardly anybody smoking in the lounge. And it's Banks's beer.