Single Handed Working on the Wey

Mike Smith

Featured Posts

Thanks for the very helpful suggestions and kind offer of help from Ian. Think I will try the following going down: moor up on right side of lock (the downstream laybys on the Wey all seem to be on the right). Tie up using bow and centre line, leaving wife at bow of boat. Empty lock, keeping an eye on ropes. Bow haul very slowly out, keeping boat to right, drop coiled rope to wife just before it passes under footbridge. Go to lower exit of lock with boat hook and take bow rope from wife as boat exits. Pull boat up to layby bollards. This did work for us but it was merely trial and error rather than a thought through process!.

Can I also thank the very considerate woman who ripped out our 3 mooring pins and cast us adrift on Saturday 25th July at around 3.50pm. We were moored up just upstream of Cart Bridge at Send and sheltering inside from the continuous heavy rain which fell all day. The woman was going flat out downstream and caused us to smash very heavily into the bank and caused me to spill my coffee. I had a difficult (and dangerous) job in the rain trying to recover the ropes and get the boat back under control. Don't have a boat name or description unfortunately.

Last rant. Have read lots of posts about cyclists. I am also completely pee'd off by aggressive and inconsiderate cyclists: at weekends particularly, the canal and the Thames towpaths are virtually no go zones for people with dogs or children.

Watch New Haw lock - cranked balance beams (to avoid the road bridge) - they are quite hard to push/pull - there's nowhere to get back on your boat until under the road bridge (be careful crossing the road), the layby for the lock landing is on the far side of the bridge (going downstream) and on the eastern side of the navigation. You are probably better to get back on the boat using the ladder (can't remember if there are ladders both sides but definitely one on the east side of the lock). The same applies to Pyrford Lock i.e. road bridge at the lower end of the lock (strong stream can come from your left), Town Lock (where you turn onto the river at Weybridge) - there's a road bridge immediately at the end of the lock.

Also watch Coxes Mill (the next downstream after New Haw) strong stream from the bywash on your left (known as a Tumbe Bay locally) which will push the boat onto the eastern side (where the lock landing is) just before the railway bridge.

This document is a wee bit out of date I think but still gives a good schematic of each lock.

Edited by Leo No2

Hello Mike.

The easy way to do it is to pull up at the lock, if its in your favour fine, if not turn it, put the kettle on and make a brew, by the time you have made a cuppa and drank it, another boat should have arrived,tell them you heard them comming and waited for them, they will be putty in your hands, unless its me of course.

Hope to see you out and about some time.

Bas.

Just slightly off topic!

To all boaters heading upstream to Godalming, who may require to use the Elson and water point at Godalming.

The facilities building is out of order and dead locked, and because the navigation has removed fron outside tap to inside that building, there is no tap either!

Best be bunkering up with water at The Dapdune Wharf and use that Elson disposel too!

I did suggest they put a notice on the Stoke lock balance beam, or indeed, include one in your welcolme pack you get from Thames lock, but i think that is too challenging for them!

Nipper

note! there is a tap on the wooden building the horse boat uses at Godalming, but i think it belongs to the horse boat, but they didnt object when i used it!

Edited by nipper

Just slightly off topic!

To all boaters heading upstream to Godalming, who may require to use the Elson and water point at Godalming.

The facilities building is out of order and dead locked, and because the navigation has removed fron outside tap to inside that building, there is no tap either!

Best be bunkering up with water at The Dapdune Wharf and use that Elson disposel too!

I did suggest they put a notice on the Stoke lock balance beam, or indeed, include one in your welcolme pack you get from Thames lock, but i think that is too challenging for them!

Nipper

note! there is a tap on the wooden building the horse boat uses at Godalming, but i think it belongs to the horse boat, but they didnt object when i used it!

Service area at Godalming is now open and working, if a little slow!!

Nipper