Base Plate Concern

Featured Posts

Is the INSIDE of the base plate you need to psint.

Daniel

[/

Both although the inside of my baseplate is covered in concrete slabs so won't be repainted for many years . I'm beginning to think painting the base plate is almost as controversial as cassette or pump out.

I beg to differ - there's no controversy just a few stories of people with old boats where the unprotected baseplate appears not to have been affected by rust. If someone wants to use this as evidence that there's no need to protect the bottom of a narrowboat, ignoring the fact that hundreds, maybe thousands, of boats have had to be overplated, good luck to them.

I beg to differ - there's no controversy just a few stories of people with old boats where the unprotected baseplate appears not to have been affected by rust. If someone wants to use this as evidence that there's no need to protect the bottom of a narrowboat, ignoring the fact that hundreds, maybe thousands, of boats have had to be overplated, good luck to them.

How concerned are you about your rudder tube?

It will suffer much more corrosion than a baseplate will, it won't be anything like as thick and is very hard to maintain without stripping the rudder down.

How concerned are you about your rudder tube?

It will suffer much more corrosion than a baseplate will, it won't be anything like as thick and is very hard to maintain without stripping the rudder down.

Not neccessarily true, it depends upon the quality of build. The rudder tube on our boat is constructed from pipe which has a 10mm wall.

Not neccessarily true, it depends upon the quality of build. The rudder tube on our boat is constructed from pipe which has a 10mm wall.

You sure?

1 1/2" nominal bore schedule 80 pipe is 5.5mm minimum wall thickness.

2" bore is 5.537mm minimum.

I would be surprised if many used anything thicker than that.

Edited by gazza

You sure?

1 1/2" nominal bore schedule 80 pipe is 5.5mm minimum wall thickness.

2" bore is 5.537mm minimum.

I would be surprised if many used anything thicker than that.

Why wouldn't I be sure? I have owned the boat for nearly twenty years, and it is built like a tank, The solid steel rudder post is 2" diameter and the tube is nominally five inches internal diameter with 10mm (3/8") wall thickness. Fabricated, I believe, from underground steel gas pipe, with a loose top bearing as found on most Working boats.

BraunstonPuddleBanks002a.jpg

Edited to add:- Before any bright spark comes alongs and tells me that underground gas pipe is made from Plastic, not steel, I know that. But in 1982 when our boat was built, steel pipe was still being used (or at least available) and the source of my information was Dave Thomas who fabricated the stern of our boat.

Edited by David Schweizer

Why wouldn't I be sure? I have owned the boat for nearly twenty years, and it is built like a tank, The solid steel rudder post is 2" diameter and the tube is nominally five inches internal diameter with 10mm (3/8") wall thickness. Fabricated, I believe, from underground steel gas pipe, with a loose top bearing as found on most Working boats.

BraunstonPuddleBanks002a.jpg

Edited to add:- Before any bright spark comes alongs and tells me that underground gas pipe is made from Plastic, not steel, I know that. But in 1982 when our boat was built, steel pipe was still being used (or at least available) and the source of my information was Dave Thomas who fabricated the stern of our boat.

A picture paints a thousand words!

5" is indeed 3/8" wall thickness. Yours is a less common and much better way of doing it!

Gas pipe is a misnomer, its schedule 80 pipe suitable for numerous applications.

All boats rust, painted or otherwise, but we have been very happy with the outcome of painting as much of the boat as we can, as well as we can, using the best paint we know of. Seems to have done OK for the last 24years.

Daniel