Online Chandlery Issue

Featured Posts

The chandlers requested my bank account details to refund the postage and I have given them these. So just waiting.

I asked why they cancelled my order and refunded without telling me and their answer was and I quote "this was to give you peace of mind that we were not just holding onto your money sir" How refreshingly honourable yeah right!

I have now ordered the part through my from my local marina chandlery and I should have it in a month. They did not want any upfront payment and I have ordered from them before so complete trust in them. I only went online as I was looking to get the part more quickly. So I have learnt a lesson, and would reaffirm, always check that item is actually in stock, always pay by credit card as this affords some back up if needed, keep records and copies of communications.

Thanks for all your support and advice.

Most retail chandleries order from a few wholesale chandleries and the online ones keep as little stock as they can which means if your local chandlery thinks it will be a month this is because they have been told so by the wholesaler ( ASAP, ECS to name but two) and unless you are lucky enough to find one holding stock - the bigger retailers with shops to stock like Midland Chandlers then you will likely get the same experience everywhere. The difference, of course, is that your local chandlery was on the ball enough to tell you.

....now ordered the part through my from my local marina chandlery and I should have it in a month. They did not want any upfront payment and ...

Interestingly when we ordered from Midland Chandlers online, they also didn't take payment till the goods where dispatched.

Daniel

Just to update.

Item returned to chandlery 19 May and signed for 20 May as checked on Royal Mail Tracking service.

Still awaiting refund of postage costs as promised.

Bank details given to chandlery 27 May but they would not answer my question as to when they will refund?

Sent email and left message on their chat room to chase up payment but no feedback as yet. This firm are sadly lacking on communication.

I will let you know when (if) I get any refund.

Thanks for your comments

It gets worse and worse.

Had an automated email from Paypal to say Medline Marine distribution (T/A Force Chandlery) had credited £4.05 to me.

Funny that because I DID NOT used Paypal to pay for the isolator. I paid directly onto my credit card which IS NOT linked to a Paypal account.

Even the amount is different as the postage refund due to me was £4.40.

Having contacted Paypal they stated that they have no transaction on their records for the isolator purchase! But they have received £4.40 for me, however, there is a £0.35 charge that I have to pay as it was a refund from a retailer. I am unable to open a dispute as I did not make the purchase through them in the first place! Bang head against wall!

As you can imagine I am totally peed off with Medline (trading as Force Chandlery, Waveline Leisure or whatever else they like to call themselves). I think they are taking the P big time.

The bottom line is Medline asked for my bank details, I provided them and yet hey fail to refund into my bank, instead sending it to Paypal who were never involved in the first place. Bang head against wall again!

As I have mentioned before, this topic is not about the money it is to make everyone aware of what a set of xxxxxxxs these people are. Based on my experience and diabolical customer service I cannot recommend them?

I usually research prices online then visit my local chandlery or motor spares supplier. If they do not have my requested item in stock or in their database they immediately call their supplier, even to cross-match a £2 fuel filter!

Invariably, they match the 'online' price, are honest about availability, call me when they have the item and do not debit my card until I collect it. Often they (like my local garage) will obtain parts on a 'sale-or-return' basis so it costs neither them nor me anything if I refuse to accept the goods. e.g. I needed timing tools for my '52 Clio, my reliable Motor Factor had them delivered the next day even though 'Silverline' was a supplier they rarely dealt with. Of course, I had to make the ten mile round trip to collect the item but that was better than all the hassle that the OP has encountered.

There are some bargains available online but I see many items sold on Ebay for more than I would pay locally. Most online suppliers are run by administrators and call-centre operators, not parts supply experts. Often they are merely 'drop-ship agents', they get commission but the order is shipped direct from the supplier and they may, or may not be aware of the stock level at their supplier.

Chances are that you did pay via PayPal (rather than Worldpay etc.) with your Credit/Debit Card.

HTH, Alan

Good point Alan.

I have just rung my credit card company and they confirm original transaction did not go through Paypal.

I am tempted to do what you suggest Dave but I think I have spent enough time on this so will fire off one last email to Chandlers requesting the difference (ie the Paypal Fee).

I will point out that I have given them some free publicity on this forum too.

Thanks to all for your views and comments

I will point out that I have given them some free publicity on this forum too.

A couple of points strike me.

1) Make sure you are communicating with intelligent life near or at the top of the management food chain at the chandlery. Some of the things you say suggest to me you are only contacting low-paid telephone operators or office spods, who by and large don't care a jot about publicity the company gets on here or anywhere else, good or bad.

2) You seem to be quibbling now about a few pennies but the injustice of it all seems to be eating you up. Sometimes its better for the soul to let things like this go, and start looking forwards again, rather than backwards in life. Conducting a long hard struggle to get redress for what is a pretty trivial loss will never yield a feeling of satisfaction against a company that clearly doesn't give a toss about you. You'll never make them care about you. Posting the story here is about the best you'll be able to do, and your message about them has been widely read on here now!

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman