Pram cover frame - could it be made in sections?

janetah

Featured Posts

I've just had a pram cover made - DB Covers, very good - but the aluminium frame is 3 continuous curved poles and difficult to store, particularly when out cruising. I'm wondering whether there's a company which would make the poles to the same shape but in 3 or 4 pieces each (connected like tent poles) so I can store them in a roof box. I've asked Hampton Works who make custom tent poles, but the diameter 2cm is wider than they work with.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Jan

On all of the pram covers we have had they fold totally flat with both the 'material' and the frame - it all sits on the rear rail (cruiser stern) and folds up or down in about 30 seconds.

Does yours not do this ?

Ours too.

On the occasions we have removed it, I agree that the alloy "hoops" are a pain to store.

Could you not cut the poles and get something to use as inserts to rejoin when in use. If you get something that just slides in (or over) the tube one bit can be glued in and the other piece will just slide on when in use. The cover should hold everything in place.

Having said all that I just fold my pram cover forward (semi-trad) and if I want to take the cover off, leave the poles where they are.

Thanks all, for your replies.

I have to admit taking the pram cover out cruising wasn't originally the plan, because I don't like it getting in the way when folded down, either on the rail or on the roof. So I was thinking I'd just store it somewhere else when we're out - but it's great having sitting out space when it's chilly or drizzly so I started wondering whether it would be possible to take, but be able to store away neatly.

It's already proving its worth when on the mooring, keeps the boat much warmer and the extra space is great.

Pete & Helen, I like your idea of a joining section, will look into that.

Jan

On the roof can obscure vision .

On the stern rail ? how does it get in the way ?

The problem with mine is I need to shorten the supports as it does not drop below the tiller arm without some shuffling .

The cover's high, to accommodate tall family members, so it projects out back when folded down and would get in the way of ropes I think and possibly not sit very securely on the back. However, I didn't intend to have it fixed when cruising.. It's the stowing away is the problem.

Hi,

we have just a pram hood made by mastawerks. Each hoop is cut in the centre and fitted with a sleeve. I haven't taken them of yet.

To keep the rear hoop away from the tiller it connect to the next hoop forwards. Undo a clamp and it slides down, effectively moving it forward and away from the tiller.

Not only does it keep the boat warmer, it makes a good workshop for building new cupboards etc.

Dave

Each hoop is cut in the centre and fitted with a sleeve. I haven't taken them of yet.

To keep the rear hoop away from the tiller it connect to the next hoop forwards. Undo a clamp and it slides down, effectively moving it forward and away from the tiller.

Not only does it keep the boat warmer, it makes a good workshop for building new cupboards etc.

Dave

Having the hoops in two parts would be easier to store than at present - I'll look into whether it's possible to adapt them. The arrangement with mine also has a clamp but in this case to lift the two rear hoops to connect to the forward one and lie them on the roof - but not keen on that arrangement when cruising. Yes, having the cover is great the whole boat seems roomier, warmer and lighter.