batteries...again.

series3

Featured Posts

I will be sorting out the batteries in the boat.

it has a 24v and 12v feeds.

for the 24 I want 2v cells. Around 450/500ah

also want to upgrade the solar. St the moment have 2 - 100w @ 24v and 1 - 80w @ 12v

the inverter is 800w and I want to add a washer so will need a bigger one.

Q... Where is the best place to get it all together?

I'm in Leigh st the moment..near Wigan.

It's usually a bad idea to run a washing machine off an inverter. They use too much juice, unless the machine has a cold water setting (it's the heating element that uses most energy).

A 2kW washing machine will take 167 Amps at a nominal 12V. Most alternators can't keep pace with that, even if you do run the engine while washing.

It's usually a bad idea to run a washing machine off an inverter. They use too much juice, unless the machine has a cold water setting (it's the heating element that uses most energy).

A 2kW washing machine will take 167 Amps at a nominal 12V. Most alternators can't keep pace with that, even if you do run the engine while washing.

True, but the max load is only for a 10 minutes or so so if you are cruising for a few hours it is not a problem.

Sorry disagree with that generalisation. I always use inverter to power the washing machine when no shore power, but with engine running. The alternators comfortably keep pace with the inverter load at all times throughout the cycle. Batteries if previously fully charged remain so.

I was intending to have a mixer tap to control the temp and take the thermostat out of the loop.

would this not help.

Also inverter is 24v.

I only have a few 12v sockets and they are on a seperate system

Sorry disagree with that generalisation. I always use inverter to power the washing machine when no shore power, but with engine running. The alternators comfortably keep pace with the inverter load at all times throughout the cycle. Batteries if previously fully charged remain so.

I suspect you missed the words "usually" and "most".

With limited use of the water heater by using a warm water fill I see less problem with power consumption than with the fact evidenced here that washing machines can simply sulk if fed with odd frequency or odd waveform power, ultimately leading to a washer and inverter simply being incompatible. Especially where quasi sine wave inverters are involved some washers simply refuse to work correctly.

With limited use of the water heater by using a warm water fill I see less problem with power consumption than with the fact evidenced here that washing machines can simply sulk if fed with odd frequency or odd waveform power, ultimately leading to a washer and inverter simply being incompatible. Especially where quasi sine wave inverters are involved some washers simply refuse to work correctly.

I had an old washing machine which worked fine with the probably octagonal wave from my old Lister genset. When it packed up, I broke it down into little pieces and bought a new one. The chap who delivered the new one said he could have repaired the old one, which was sad when I discovered that the new one wouldn't talk to the Lister.

I suspect you missed the words "usually" and "most".

And you missed the word generalisation rolleyes.gif

Seriously though many do run washing machines fron inverters, with engine running of course. As long as the PSW inverter can comfortably cope, and the engine driven charging system can cover a large percentage of the battery load, there is absolutely nothing wrong in powering a washing machine in this manner. In fact it can be beneficial to the engine instead of idling for long periods in a lock flight, to employ it in this manner. This was the point I wanted to make in response to your suggestion that it was usually a bad idea.