John Sergeants Barging round Britain

X Alan W

Featured Posts

Just got around t watching the recorded programs as in the title My observation: what an Unusual swan neck/ rams head/ tiller bar set up on the Tug style NB going away from the camera in the opening sequence the steerer must have some difficulty if he has to put the tiller bar hard over. i've seen the swan neck cranked up to clear the cabin top on tug style boats as the cabin has been raised to get headroom with lower hull sides giving the boat the well down not much dry side effect, without making the draft more than the more conventional type leisure boat, but I'm thinking this seems some what extreme & looks as if it would be very tiring for a long days boating. Just wondering if the steerer is the owner, & had it made that way, or if it was bought that way & he is putting up with it for whatever reason.

Just got around t watching the recorded programs as in the title My observation: what an Unusual swan neck/ rams head/ tiller bar set up on the Tug style NB going away from the camera in the opening sequence the steerer must have some difficulty if he has to put the tiller bar hard over. i've seen the swan neck cranked up to clear the cabin top on tug style boats as the cabin has been raised to get headroom with lower hull sides giving the boat the well down not much dry side effect, without making the draft more than the more conventional type leisure boat, but I'm thinking this seems some what extreme & looks as if it would be very tiring for a long days boating. Just wondering if the steerer is the owner, & had it made that way, or if it was bought that way & he is putting up with it for whatever reason.

I reckon he's bent it up on the copings while he was dropping in a lock . . . . I certainly wouldn't want to steer it very far.

I reckon he's bent it up on the copings while he was dropping in a lock . . . . I certainly wouldn't want to steer it very far.

I did wonder on that, but I would have thought it would have bowed the tiller bar, maybe he's replaced that part,it's a grand angle though. I suppose he could always lengthen his tiller strings. My back & arm aches just looking at the film.

I did wonder on that, but I would have thought it would have bowed the tiller bar, maybe he's replaced that part,it's a grand angle though. I suppose he could always lengthen his tiller strings. My back & arm aches just looking at the film.

Yes, he must have got a new tiller after he bent the ramshead . . . . . I doubt there'll be any tillerstrings there to lengthen, they're not something you see much these days, and that may well be why it got bent in the first place.

If it was mine I'd stop for an hour or two, get a fire going on the towpath to heat up the ramshead, and bend it back into shape.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Could it be fitted with a Kitchen steering?

31570d1241517356-kitchen-rudder-dsc00916

If you watch the video the tiller goes up and down as well as left to right.

Could be,but I note in the video that the tiller bar is more or less in the conventional position when going ahead & is tilted up for maneuvering,the boat in the program appears to be going forward in a more or less normal manner. I can't see the steerer being able to even reach the tiller bar if it was lifted even more to go astern or whatever with that type of prop set up. I guess we'll never know the reason, unless the owner/steerer tells someone or a member knows the boat in question & knows/can find out the cause or other wise.