Boat handling with ropes.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Probably because I try not to pull very hard on ropes, I've learned more than most to use them for mooring, moving the boat etc.

I've also watched and chatted to 'the old hands' old bargemen etc, when they have come through Bardney, for instance.

I remember watching the crew on the paddle steamer ferries across the humber using the ropes for mooring. So simple, just put a front rope over a bollard and reverse, no steering required. Or vice versa if pulling alongside.

I watched a chap on his own on a 60ft widebeam barge. After leaving the lock, for instance, he just steered to the side, strolled off with a rope in his hand, and put it over a bollard. The boat gently moored itself while he slowly shut the gates.

Then when he was ready to go, he just put it in neutral for a moment, so the rope was slack, got off, took the rope, stepped back on and away.

When I think of the performance some of the larger cruisers make, despite their boats being only half the size it makes me laugh.

My only real problem now is if I put a bow rope over a bollard, then try to reverse to the port side, the propwalk is greater than the pull of the boat, by the rope. So the boat never gets to the side.

I think Malc wouldn't have a use for tiller strings, seeing as he has a wheel. lol

When setting off, instead of walking to the front to push the bows out, just undo the rope, place it onboard and then walk to the stern. Place it in tickover in reverse and you'll notice that the bows start to swing out into the main channel. It's then just a case of whipping out the stern rope, moving into ahead and you're away. I get to use this trick very rarely as there's always boat moored up close so I can't reverse enough.

The trick which Malc mentioned..

I watched a chap on his own on a 60ft widebeam barge. After leaving the lock, for instance, he just steered to the side, strolled off with a rope in his hand, and put it over a bollard. The boat gently moored itself while he slowly shut the gates.

I've used this method lots of times. Step off with the engine still ticking over, and place the centre rope over a bollard, the boat, still moving forward gets drawn towards the bank and stays there. You have to becareful with this one and judge your speed. Some boats have their centre rope attached to the cabin top, and if you go too hard at this one the boat lists quite badly and then bumps against the bank quite hard. Make sure nobody's got the kettle on when doing it :P