Hawkesbury in 1980

John Brightley

Featured Posts

They did have a strict daily routine of going over to the cottage and doing some housework and cleaning and lighting the fire, but as you say, always going back to the boat for the night, the reason being that both of them found it impossible to get to sleep in the house, even years after they finished working the boat.

I seem to remember that Joe said 'Friendship' was built by a yard called Sephtons which was more or less over on the other side of the cut from where they tied.

The Sephton family, or at least some of them, ran the pub back south of Sutton Stop at or near the first bridge. I think it was called The Elephant and Castle (it was over 40 years ago). I got talking to the gaffer one day, a Sephton, and he brought out a rubber stamp with their name on it and which also included the details of their boatbuilding yard. He stamped a postcard with it and gave it to me. I've still got it, somewhere. I seem to remember it says something like "W. Sephton, Boatbuilders, Tusses Bridge", but I may have that wrong.

I sat in The Greyhound with Rose, shortly after Joe's demise, and I can only concur with what Alan F has written-she was completely distracted and almost catatonic. I bought her a drink and gave it to her, but she merely looked at me, without saying anything. I patted her shoulder and left, and never saw her again.

Fascinating pictures, thank you.

Noticeable is the lack of private boats.

Also noticeable is that the appearance of Calcutt hire boats has changed very little over the intervening years.

The Sephton family, or at least some of them, ran the pub back south of Sutton Stop at or near the first bridge. I think it was called The Elephant and Castle (it was over 40 years ago). I got talking to the gaffer one day, a Sephton, and he brought out a rubber stamp with their name on it and which also included the details of their boatbuilding yard. He stamped a postcard with it and gave it to me. I've still got it, somewhere. I seem to remember it says something like "W. Sephton, Boatbuilders, Tusses Bridge", but I may have that wrong.

I sat in The Greyhound with Rose, shortly after Joe's demise, and I can only concur with what Alan F has written-she was completely distracted and almost catatonic. I bought her a drink and gave it to her, but she merely looked at me, without saying anything. I patted her shoulder and left, and never saw her again.

It was the Elephant and Castle at Tusses Bridge, and the landlord there ( in the 60's) was from the same Sephton family who had the boatyard there until about 1930, but there was another Sephtons at Sutton's where 'Friendship' was built. I don't know if there was a family connection, but there were definitely two yards. According to Joe and other ex. Number Ones such as Henry Grantham and Arthur Bray the yard at Sutton's were known for being able to turn out a boat that would carry a ton or two better than most.

It was the Elephant and Castle at Tusses Bridge, and the landlord there ( in the 60's) was from the same Sephton family who had the boatyard there until about 1930, but there was another Sephtons at Sutton's where 'Friendship' was built. I don't know if there was a family connection, but there were definitely two yards. According to Joe and other ex. Number Ones such as Henry Grantham and Arthur Bray the yard at Sutton's were known for being able to turn out a boat that would carry a ton or two better than most.

It's not a pub any more/It was closed a few years ago, and the whole site was being re-developed for residential use when we went past last year.