LTE 2600 MiFi

Alf Roberts

Featured Posts

I've just ordered the e5776. It only has one aerial socket, but we won't be needing two aerials for some time. I chose it because it has a 3000mAh battery, twice as big as the others. Paid £103 sad.png

Apparently 4G needs two antenna inputs to get the best.

As an aside, here in Northampton 4g on three is not bad, 4g on EE is fantastic.

4g is MIMO, multi in, multi out. However, at the moment the networks don't provide for multi in or out, (except in areas where they are testing it), so a dual aerial facility will be a waste.

So Three lied to me when I asked that specific question. They didn't even ask where. I suppose if they ever get it up and running we should see a difference.

ETA The question was "does 4g need dual antenna to get the best result?" Yes, was the answer. No mention of anything such as "when we get it going, or perhaps or 'owt else".

Edited by Rich

So Three lied to me when I asked that specific question. They didn't even ask where. I suppose if they ever get it up and running we should see a difference.

ETA The question was "does 4g need dual antenna to get the best result?" Yes, was the answer. No mention of anything such as "when we get it going, or perhaps or 'owt else".

Who did you ask, within Three? 4G connectivity is a complex area and there are many different variations of the standards. At the moment MIMO is not enabled or available on the transmitter side, but the technology is possible and I dare say there is a rolling upgrade programme to enable it across much of the 4G network eventually. So its worth buying a twin aerial Mifi for futureproofing reasons.

4G, as a technology, does need a dual, or multiple, aerial for best results. So they weren't necessarily lying. In fact, they probably don't know how it works, so more likely ignorant, rather than deceitful.

I dont think there is enough bandwidth to provide us all with proper MIMO 4G. Three no longer offer tetherable all you can eat data because their allocation can't cope.

The mifi I've ordered has 2 internal aerials, but only one external adapter, so it's future proofed in that sense. I chose it for its longer battery life, which is more important to me in the short term.

im getting quite tempted by this; which by the time you add in the price of the aerials is not so pricey

http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/3G/Proroute-GEM420-Dual-SIM-4G-Router.html

I need to find out whether the antennae can be mounted outdoors. I quite like the build quality. and the dual Sim bit.

doing some research it seems like LTE speeds are going to be down to usage sharing, good news for country dwellers, not so for suburban iPlayer babies.

I'm quite happy on 3-4mbps as long as it's consistent.

Edited by Alf Roberts