solar panels/batteries

brickie

Featured Posts

Having done a search I have found the actual spit charge relay that I have fitted. The other in my previous post doesnt have the sensing or start assist

http://www.es-store.co.uk/product_details.php?product=SCR-CYRIX-120-I-12-24&description=Micro-processor-controlled-split-charge-relay---120A&cat_desc=Victron-Cyrix-Battery-Combiners-Isolators&cat_id=64&show_menu=10

Having done a search I have found the actual spit charge relay that I have fitted. The other in my previous post doesnt have the sensing or start assist

http://www.es-store.co.uk/product_details.php?product=SCR-CYRIX-120-I-12-24&description=Micro-processor-controlled-split-charge-relay---120A&cat_desc=Victron-Cyrix-Battery-Combiners-Isolators&cat_id=64&show_menu=10

That makes my solution £13-00 cheaper.

Phil

A Smartgauge & Smartbank system can connect a flat starter battery to the domestic bank by the press of 2 buttons. This is the neatest emergency start option I know.

If solar ever got the domestics fully charged it would also connect the start battery and charge that as well or if you're on shoreline with a charger connected it would connect the banks so the start battery was charged.

If solar ever got the domestics fully charged it would also connect the start battery and charge that as well or if you're on shoreline with a charger connected it would connect the banks so the start battery was charged.

Please see earlier in the thread where I mentioned that this doesn't work in some set ups when the isolators are turned off.

Solar once installed will give you X amount of power which will vary with the time of year.

NO it depends on sunshine / cloud cover level as well as time of year, also flat panel or tilted right right way or tiled wrong way not to mention trees. The current delivered usually depends on battery SOC i.e. you will usually get more amps at 09:00 on a sunny day than at 14:00 even though the sun is higher then due to batteries being fuller (I am assuming normal battery levels of 60% after overnight and sufficient solar to give a real helpful charge).

Not sure that the OP has a smart gauge or a smart bank, my £25-00 solution is considerably cheaper and will maintain a starter battery whenever the boat is left for sometime. It's not a complicated issue, he just wants to maintain his starter battery and just wants a low tech, low cost solution.

Phil

Not sure that the OP has a smart gauge or a smart bank, my £25-00 solution is considerably cheaper and will maintain a starter battery whenever the boat is left for sometime. It's not a complicated issue, he just wants to maintain his starter battery and just wants a low tech, low cost solution.

Phil

It's the way with threads, they move one. You're spot on though, the easiest and simplest way to keep the start battery healthy is a cheap as chips solar panel. There's loads of them sold for exactly the purpose with plenty of cable aimed at people with classic cars that are garaged for months on end.

If the op has a couple of alternators on the boat though and their main solar is going to keep the batteries topped up then a smartbank and gauge will kill a few birds with one stone.

NO it depends on sunshine / cloud cover level as well as time of year, also flat panel or tilted right right way or tiled wrong way not to mention trees. The current delivered usually depends on battery SOC i.e. you will usually get more amps at 09:00 on a sunny day than at 14:00 even though the sun is higher then due to batteries being fuller (I am assuming normal battery levels of 60% after overnight and sufficient solar to give a real helpful charge).

Splitting hairs, for time of year read more cloud and lower sun in winter and less cloud and higher sun in summer.

Phil

Paul C no link but just search 20watt solar panel in eBay and you will find shed loads.

Phil

Splitting hairs, for time of year read more cloud and lower sun in winter and less cloud and higher sun in summer.

Phil

Paul C no link but just search 20watt solar panel in eBay and you will find shed loads.

Phil

Just did, the cheapest panel is priced at £32 with no controller.

I can't see another post from you in the thread, just this one and the other I quoted.

My apologies, it must have been in one of the many threads on similar topics. Basically if I turn off my two battery bank isolators it prevents the Smartbank connecting the banks together, so defeating the function to which you referred.

Not a problem when we're aboard as it all works normally, but a slight nuisance when we shut up the boat and leave it a while.

Hello Everyone. I recently bought a new Solar Panel for my Narrow boat. I already had a 100w and a 40w, but this was not enough for a live aboard.

I found a company in Oxford (but there is company's all over the country) that was selling a big 250w panel. These panel are in fully working condition, but have different color cells in them. I payed £130 for a nice looking all black panel. I think the price has gone up now, but you can still 250w panels for £177.

As for the two battery banks (Leisure and main) I connected them both together via the Solar regulator just over a year ago in my Camper van. By using the Solar regulator the panels charge all the battery's together, when one set is full it just keeps topping the other up. The power from one set of battery's can not be used by the other set of battery's because they are only connected via the regulator. As I mentioned I have used this system in the Camper van for over a year now and I have had no problems. I few times I have flattened the leisure battery, with either the fridge or the electric heater, but the engine's battery is all way's full.

John.

Hello Everyone. I recently bought a new Solar Panel for my Narrow boat. I already had a 100w and a 40w, but this was not enough for a live aboard.

I found a company in Oxford (but there is company's all over the country) that was selling a big 250w panel. These panel are in fully working condition, but have different color cells in them. I payed £130 for a nice looking all black panel. I think the price has gone up now, but you can still 250w panels for £177.

As for the two battery banks (Leisure and main) I connected them both together via the Solar regulator just over a year ago in my Camper van. By using the Solar regulator the panels charge all the battery's together, when one set is full it just keeps topping the other up. The power from one set of battery's can not be used by the other set of battery's because they are only connected via the regulator. As I mentioned I have used this system in the Camper van for over a year now and I have had no problems. I few times I have flattened the leisure battery, with either the fridge or the electric heater, but the engine's battery is all way's full.

John.

Which solar regulator has 2 battery outputs? (I know a few do)