Stove with back boiler reconmendations please

Groundhog

Featured Posts

My boat is currently fitted with a Morso Squirrel with no back boiler. During the course of this year as part of the changes to the boat before I leave the marina for good I want to get radiators in the bedroom and bathroom. I could get a back boiler fitted to the existing stove or I could swap it out for a new one.

I've seen stoves with a top oven in them but I don't know who they were made by. This feature would be nice but not critical. There will be a lot of work involved in running pipework for the radiators I'm approaching this with the "do it right, do it once" ethos.

My boat is currently fitted with a Morso Squirrel with no back boiler. During the course of this year as part of the changes to the boat before I leave the marina for good I want to get radiators in the bedroom and bathroom. I could get a back boiler fitted to the existing stove or I could swap it out for a new one.

I've seen stoves with a top oven in them but I don't know who they were made by. This feature would be nice but not critical. There will be a lot of work involved in running pipework for the radiators I'm approaching this with the "do it right, do it once" ethos.

http://www.chillipenguin.co.uk/has stoves with a small oven suitable for pies, etc and back boiler. There are other makes with a larger ovens.

tis a pity northern fabrications do not do a stove larger than the excellent Boatman.

I have a Bubble multifuel with back boiler

My Morso on a previous boat was also a back boiler and gave good service.

There will be a lot of work involved in running pipework for the radiators I'm approaching this with the "do it right, do it once" ethos.

Well worth doing a forum seach on something like 'backboiler', there are loads and loads of topics on backboiler heating.

If nothing comes up see the linkys in my signature below... smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

We just retrofitted a backboiler to our Squirrel. It was pretty straightforward to do. For a 2 rad system it should have enough grunt.

I'm certain the squirrel will have enough grunt for the job and my current thinking is to keep it and fit a back boiler. I've had 3 boats in my time and they've all had squirrels. They must be the most popular stoves on the cut but that doesn't mean there aren't improvements to be had.

Well worth doing a forum seach on something like 'backboiler', there are loads and loads of topics on backboiler heating.

If nothing comes up see the linkys in my signature below... smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I went straight to the links in your signature. That's my bed time reading taken care of. Thanks!

Those forum links of yours have given me a few hours well spent pete. I think I'll stick with the squirrel, fit a back boiler and run 2 perhaps 3 gravity fed rads. If I can get that working it looks like by far the best way of doing the job. A fun project as well.

Those forum links of yours have given me a few hours well spent pete. I think I'll stick with the squirrel, fit a back boiler and run 2 perhaps 3 gravity fed rads. If I can get that working it looks like by far the best way of doing the job. A fun project as well.

I haven't updated it with 2014s posts so still might be worth a forum trawl.

If you start a topic at some point in the future with details of what's planned it should get some useful comments.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a stove with a back boiler ready to go, complete with 3 new radiators. Nothing is plumbed in and I have no intention of using them - in fact intend to change it all for a Morso squirrel once the weather improves a bit. Don't know where you're based Groundhog but maybe worth having a chat and seeing if my set up would suit your boat?

Just had a Boatman fitted with back-boiler. We had some problems with the flow (needed a new pump) but now it happily drives 2 radiators and hot water in the calorifier. It also keeps the saloon nicely warm - and is fully controllable. Recommended!

Roger