Featured Posts

Hi all i thinking of fitting secondary glazing using clear acrylic sheet and magnetic tape. Has anyone done this and if so how effective has it been. My boat has 18 windows and umpteen vent on the roof. i am looking at way of keeping the boat warmer. I have a morso squirrel with a eco fan but this only tends to heat one end of the boat. we also have a back boiler but this only heats the radiators if the fire is absolutely blazing. we are just getting the hang of keeping the fire going all night but it is still really cold in the mornings and I feel having so many cold pain of glass and draft has a lot to do with this problem.

it works as does the plastic that you stick to frame and then shrink tight with a hair dryer.

Why your radiators not getting hot needs sorting have you got air in back boiler or radiators ?

Surely someone on her could make and sell mushroom cosies

We have a back boiler in the Morso, this heat the water which is on a thermostatic pump. I have the flying saucer type vent, i am thinking of putting a little rockwool in them from the inside to stop the draft but still provide ventilation. our boat is an ex hire boat and it has more vent than ive seen on any other boat which i guess is fine in the summer

Secondary glazing made a huge difference to the comfort of our boat over the winter. I used 3mm acrylic and simply screwed it onto the wooden window surround. You do have to mark which sheet goes where but then it lines up on the screw holes each time it is put up. It stopped the whole window condensation wiping business as well.

Hi all i thinking of fitting secondary glazing using clear acrylic sheet and magnetic tape. Has anyone done this and if so how effective has it been. My boat has 18 windows and umpteen vent on the roof. i am looking at way of keeping the boat warmer. I have a morso squirrel with a eco fan but this only tends to heat one end of the boat. we also have a back boiler but this only heats the radiators if the fire is absolutely blazing. we are just getting the hang of keeping the fire going all night but it is still really cold in the mornings and I feel having so many cold pain of glass and draft has a lot to do with this problem.

Yes I have used this method and it works very well but, I have had to change the double sided tape on both the magnetic and steel strips as they kept coming off both the wood surround and Acrylic. Mind you it does help if the frames are flat, unlike my Liverpool boat. Make sure that the Acrylic and frame are free off all grease and that you have rubbed down the surface of the wood.

Fred

Thanks all for your replies. I have bought some acrylic 3mm panels from hertsplastic and some magnetic tape from ebay. i ave als noticed that where the inner window lining meet the wall panelling a lot of cold air get through. I went to the 99p store and bought some foam excluder tape which i intend to put between the frame and the wall.