Buying a Multimeter

Theo

Featured Posts

Don't buy this meter if accuracy is your goal.

If accuracy is your goal buy a Fluke.

If you use a cheap multimeter then it is perfectly possibly to do ad-hod calibration to the accuracy needed to keep our systems healthy.

Whereas i wouldn't dare contradict chris w's maths it seems intuitively that the 0.6-0.7% within the 0-20V range does give meaningful results.

How many battery management systems give voltage accuracy?

Whereas i wouldn't dare contradict chris w's maths it seems intuitively that the 0.6-0.7% within the 0-20V range does give meaningful results.

In that case never trust YOUR intuition because it's wrong.

Accuracy worse than +/-0.5% is no use whatsoever for measuring battery voltages to establish state-of-charge.

If you just want a "are there volts at that point" then OK, but why buy total crap when for around £20, at Maplins et al, one can buy a multimeter of the requisite accuracy.

Chris

I thought I was buying one of the right accuracy, and a claimed +/- 0.3% on the middle DC ranges seemed to better the +/- 0.5% available elsewhere.

It was a disappointment to find the enclosed detail did not live up to what they were quoting on the web - particularly as it's a well built meter with a cracking display and a good set of facilities.

Of course it's possible the manual is wrong, rather than the on-line data sheet, but as you say, at over £20 it's going back.

Yesterday was not a good day on the purchasing front...

1) Meter not as advertised.

2) 2-way valve required for hot water plumbing still did not arrive.

3) Max/Min electronic thermometer did not arrive.

4) It transpires part Calcutt sent me for my engine is for a "Turkish BMC", rather than an English one. (As they know there are two options, why didn't they ask).

So if I seem grumpy, there's a reason :lol: