address and insurance plus tv question

Lisaj72

Featured Posts

Hi, just wondering how you live aboards without a residential mooring get your post and sort your car bike insurance out(where do you park over night etc?)..no doubt youve been asked this many times.

i will be on a marina..and want to use it occassionally when i out and about.on 12 v occassionally, will i have to have a minute led tv, what tvs you all using :_

cheers

If your in a marina then you park your vehicle there when you go out boating .

Priority is to learn about your batteries

What is being taken out of them ?

What engine running or other means have you to replace the load taken ?

Is battery bank suitable for the job ?

TV size depends on above from being no power for one to an all singing and dancing one fed via an inverter .

Ask neighbours or post more questions on here also use the forums search lots of answers are already there.

If you are living aboard on a leisure mooring (are the marina OK with this ?) then you will need to arrange with a friend or relative to receive your mail and then for you to pick it up from them.

With regard to car/bike insurance tell your insurers you live on a boat (of no fixed abode) or otherwise, if you have a claim and they find that you have lied about your address, they will not pay out.

You need to carefully consider your electrical usage and compare it to how much you 'put back' into the batteries. Living afloat and not attached to the 'mains' can be quite restrictive unless you plan correctly.

(No curling tongues or hairdryers !!!!)

When you say "where do you park overnight" do you mean the boat ot the bike ?

i will use the marina as and when and go out...as you know with marinas you arnt allowed to live on them ;) thats not really the issue. But yes thank you for the head up re insurance. I guess this will increase my premium by alot.

thanks

i will use the marina as and when and go out...as you know with marinas you arnt allowed to live on them wink.png thats not really the issue. But yes thank you for the head up re insurance. I guess this will increase my premium by alot.

thanks

Not strictly true.

You can live on ours for 11 months of the year.

ETA: As for the TV we use a 12V LCD TV with freeview and DVD built in. We take it home for the summer as we rarely watch it. Its still at home now actually as we have not missed it.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Lisaj72, on 13 Nov 2014 - 4:16 PM, said:

i will use the marina as and when and go out...as you know with marinas you arnt allowed to live on them wink.png thats not really the issue. But yes thank you for the head up re insurance. I guess this will increase my premium by alot.

thanks

Not quite following what you mean i will use the marina as and when and go out

Will you be living aboard ?

Wlll you still have a house ?

In our marina you can liveaboard for just £3799 per annum irrespective of boat length (this includes Council tax and gives you a storage container and a registered address for insurance, mail etc), or you can liveaboard for £150 per metre boat length per annum if you are paying council tax on a property somewhere but gives no 'official' address or storage container.

Edit - with the residential mooring you also get a reserved car parking space allocated.

The 1st is called a residential mooring, whilst the 2nd is a leisure moring

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Off topic surely if you go boating out of the Local council area for above a minimum time (unknown) then you do not need to pay council tax ?

Generally the mooring is subject to Council Tax - not the boat.

If it is a fully planning approved residential mooring then it is subject to CT

If the boat 'moves' then the marina owner is responsible for paying the CT

The Marina Owner will normally divide the total council tax bill (which may only come to band A anyway) and divide it by the number of boats - this is why a great many boats only pay £100-£200 per anum council tax on a marina mooring.

Thanks for that explanation .

It seems a fair system if done that way and all pay a share sadly that was not my experience in a previous marina where 50 out of 100 ish paid the shares .

Also I know of other marinas who ripped up the not strictly legal Council multi boat demand and thus no one pays .

I myself fought and won the councils demand for council tax a few years ago .