What should I buy

yottie

Featured Posts

You will get a lot of accommodation in a well laid out 30' cruiser. Perhaps you should get out and have a look at some and then narrow down the ones that you think will suit your needs.

There are so many different layouts and variants when it comes to cruisers that until you know what you want it will be a very broad search.

The boats I mentioned are all stretched versions of the ubiquitous Elysian 27 from the 1960's (which I think is also essentially the same as the Madiera 27) and if you really were on a budget the Elysian with it's 2' draught would be a super little cruiser for rivers and wide canals. But Elysians had shaft driven engines whereas its longer relatives have outdrives. Opinions vary regarding the "inboard outboard" method of propulsion but one thing it does do is free up a lot of space, and I always find it startling how much room there is in these boats.

But, hull design has come on a lot since the day these craft were designed, and if you plonked someone with a modern cruiser in one of these boats they would probably be disappointed. As I said, these boats are for sedate pottering on rivers and canals at 6k max not for whizzing up and down the coast.

I met a naval architect once who owned a rare centre cockpit Princess 32 and he explained how he had transformed the handling my adding two small keels. I think there is a production version of the hull that either has a more pronounced "V" or has a deeper keel, so if you look at any of these boats try and find out which version it is.

My favourite is the RLM 31 there's just something about the lines that looks right to me. I have a thing about grp boats from the 60's and early 70's, before computer design came along. The Princess 30 from the 1980's is in many respects a much better boat than the older 32 but it doesn't have the look.

Older Freemans are very nice too, but always seem way overpriced to me.

I really like the Seniors. If the budget would stretch to it this is a nice boat for the money.

http://www.newark-marina.co.uk/used-boats/senior-31-aft-cabin/

That is rather lovely isn't it? It looks very like the aft cabin Princess I was talking about but that boat didn't have the removable canopy which I think suits it better. It is virtually the same boat as a Princess 32, in fact it should correctly be called a Senior 32 as that was the name of the aft cabin version, the Senior 31 had the aft cockpit.

It may well be in vgc but still not worth £20,000. I'd go down there with £12,000 and offer them 10.

It's trivia time - dunno if anyone watches "Not Going Out" the Lee Mack comedy but there was an episode last year where his dad (Bobby Ball) buys a cruiser and they all end up stranded offshore. The boat they used in the filming was a Senior 32. I probably should get out more..

CanalMap.gif

Looking at your map got me thinking about where we have been with NC. As a little exercise I stuck a pin in all the places we have been so far with NC on Google Earth. We still have some way to go before we have run out of places to visit within our cruising range!

Capture.jpg

That is rather lovely isn't it? It looks very like the aft cabin Princess I was talking about but that boat didn't have the removable canopy which I think suits it better. It is virtually the same boat as a Princess 32, in fact it should correctly be called a Senior 32 as that was the name of the aft cabin version, the Senior 31 had the aft cockpit.

It may well be in vgc but still not worth £20,000. I'd go down there with £12,000 and offer them 10.

It's trivia time - dunno if anyone watches "Not Going Out" the Lee Mack comedy but there was an episode last year where his dad (Bobby Ball) buys a cruiser and they all end up stranded offshore. The boat they used in the filming was a Senior 32. I probably should get out more..

Think I prefer the aft cabin version!

http://www.nya.co.uk/project-31-for-sale.html

Looks a bit odd aft cockpit!

• 4 weeks later...

Have just missed buying a GRP with a mooring on a riverside pontoon. Having Google-mapped the location have decided that's what we want (as opposed to a crowded Marina). We are both not anti-social but, having got to that time of life where peace is a blessing if we want it, we would love to find somewhere like this in the York(ish) area. Would be most grateful for any leads.

• 5 weeks later...