conversion from gas to diesel central heating

Featured Posts

Depends on what you class as 'easy'.

It's complex project and expensive, but not technically difficult for someone with good engineering capabilities.

You'll need to buy the diesel heater and install it, arrange fuel and power supplies and remove the Alde. Block up the roof flue hole and connect it up to the heating pipes. Expect to spend about £2k on the heater and general stuff, and a few weekends doing it. A job for the summer, may I suggest!

MtB

How easy would it be to change the central heating system on a boat from an Alde gas system to a diesel system such as Webasto or Ebesbacher?

Easiest if you hand over mucho spondoolicks to the right person, my recommendation would be exactly the same as made to Mr Doodlebug on a related topic:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=71317&p=1431088

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

If you have access to diesel ok, but isnt it costly heating with diesel? I have a back boiler which apart from roasting your nuts off in summer its a great way to get freeish hotwater

Diesel is WAY more expensive than solid fuel, but gas is more expensive still, I suspect. But I've never done the 'cost per therm (or Joule) comparison.

The main benefit of changing to diesel is no more lugging of gas bottles up the towpath twice a month. A big diesel tank is essential though!

MtB

How easy would it be to change the central heating system on a boat from an Alde gas system to a diesel system such as Webasto or Ebesbacher?

Done a few actually, no biggie but a little time consuming. If you do it yourself remember the fitting instructions are just that, instructions and not suggestions

Cost me just over 2k for two rads and a webasto

I hope that included removing the Alde it is also worth a mention (as you say only 2 rads) that unless the rads are rated at a combination of at least 6kw then this is not a good professional standard install, assuming a TTC, if a TTE substitute 5kw

Edited by NMEA

Well I wouldn't want to swap my nice reliable Alde for a unreliable...expensive to service and hungry for power diesel heating system!...it might use a bit of gas but diesel isn't cheap these days and by the time you have costed in glow plugs..air motors...etc plus having to keep your batteries charged to run them I really don't think there's much in it for overall cost.

Having said that I have a solid fuel fire for the main heating....the Alde gets used for hot water when we are cruising or as a top up heating either when it's very cold or not cold enough to light the fire.....it's also very handy if we are away for a few days and there is a risk of frost.

Cheers

Gareth

PS.. I might have to lug gas bottles but when we were frozen in a couple of years back the people with diesel heating had to lug Jerry cans....and quite a lot of Jerry cans at that!