pubs at Stoke Golding - Ashby Canal

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Hi eveyone

About 4/5 years ago had a great short break from Ashby, the pubs in the village were really good.

2 years ago we went back and well the pubs had gone a bit pear shaped, one served Thai, fine but we fancied something a bit more traditional so we moved onto the next pub and ordered our meals, but, and it is a big but, burnt lamb chops on a huge mound of lumpy mash, peas and very thick gravy is not my idea of a great pub meal. (my mums was even worse, large yorkshire full of mash potatoe, interesting concept!!). In hindsight should have known better as we could see lots of sacks of spuds by the kitchen door, the chef liked his starch.

On the way back to the boat we popped into another pub which was full of some strange looking folk, believe me they were strange!!

My question is what is the situation now? We love Ashby boats, clean, good layout etc, but we like to finish off a trip with a night at the pub. :D

Julie

Hi eveyone

About 4/5 years ago had a great short break from Ashby, the pubs in the village were really good.

2 years ago we went back and well the pubs had gone a bit pear shaped, one served Thai, fine but we fancied something a bit more traditional so we moved onto the next pub and ordered our meals, but, and it is a big but, burnt lamb chops on a huge mound of lumpy mash, peas and very thick gravy is not my idea of a great pub meal. (my mums was even worse, large yorkshire full of mash potatoe, interesting concept!!). In hindsight should have known better as we could see lots of sacks of spuds by the kitchen door, the chef liked his starch.

On the way back to the boat we popped into another pub which was full of some strange looking folk, believe me they were strange!!

My question is what is the situation now? We love Ashby boats, clean, good layout etc, but we like to finish off a trip with a night at the pub. :D

Julie

I have just answered the same question on the other thread as: "I went to the White Swan (which is the one furthest from the boatyard) a couple of times last autumn and it was really good. Very friendly, good beer, and excellent food. Haven't tried the other two though."

Of course, just because I liked it, doesn't mean anyone else will.

Allan

• 1 month later...

I'm on the Ashby at the moment and will try and check out the recommended watering holes! Isn't it a pleasant canal.

It's been THE best day. Had some great news, bought chips and cider to celebrate and travelled along in the sunshine, eating chips off the roof - yum.

The Limekilns on the Ashby is also very good, and has a nice beer garden you can moor right outside on. good traditional pub grub and the owners are great.

It's past the Ashby boat place, passed the marina you will pass on the left, and about 20 minutes further on from there.

Very nice pub!!

• 4 weeks later...
The Limekilns on the Ashby is also very good, and has a nice beer garden you can moor right outside on. good traditional pub grub and the owners are great.

It's past the Ashby boat place, passed the marina you will pass on the left, and about 20 minutes further on from there.

Very nice pub!!

The Lime Kilns serves good food at good prices - as for the rest of the Ashby Canal - I found it very boring - and the pubs were never open during tha day. My advice is that you turn around at the Lime Kilns & head back to the Coventry Canal.

I enjoyed the Ashby, but didn't 'do' the pubs I'd meant to. The Lime Kilns was too near the road for me - I just kept moving and probably missed a good watering-hole from what people say! I did go on to the 'Globe', I think it is - right at the end by the Snarestone tunnel. A pleasant pub, nice people and space to sit outside and recover from the 'delightful' tunnel experience - aaaggghhh!

I'll be venturing up the Ashby from Alvechurch from next weekend.

I'll try and infill some of the questions about the hostelries while I'm up there! :cheers:

I take it by your comments, Carrie, that it would be better leave the polishing of brass portholes and paintwork till after I've visited the Snareston Tunnel? :cheers:

:cheers: oi cheeky-chops! Anyway, a good ol greasing on the roof helps it get through tunnels!

On the Ashby moor your boat by Bridge 8 (I hope that was the one) and walk a few yards to The Corner House. Two meals for the price of one in the week. Excellent food. Buy two glasses of wine get the rest of the bottle free. At least this was last September. great value.